Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Frosted Zucchini Brownies



Yes, you read that right. There is zucchini in these brownies...about 2 cups to be exact. So even though there is a ton of sugar in these things, I guess you should feel a little better because at least you are getting in some veggies at the same time, right? Or just chalk it all up to a well worth it splurge. Track it and move on. That's what we all say in my WW Message Board! You just have to decide what you think is worth your points and try to be mindful of all your other eating. Everything in moderation.

I promise you. No one will know that there is zucchini in these. I took them to work and told them all that there was a little added green to the brownies. Of course, some of them got the complete wrong idea! But they still tried them. One guy even had 3 of them. So how good do you think they must be? Here is the recipe:

FROSTED ZUCCHINI BROWNIES
adapted from Mommy? I'm Hungry!
Servings: 24
Points+: 5 (including frosting)



½ c. vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
1 ½ c. white sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 c. zucchini (shredded)

Chocolate Frosting:
6 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ c. margarine (I used butter)
2 c. confectioners sugar
½ c. milk
½ t. vanilla extract

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish. (I lined with parchment)

In a large bowl mix together oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract until well blended. In another bowl combine the flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. A little at a time stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in zucchini and walnuts. The batter will be dry and crumbly, don't worry. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.

Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.

To make the frosting- In a small saucepan over low heat melt together the cocoa powder and margarine. Set aside to cool. In a medium bowl blend confectioner’s sugar, milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir in the margarine/cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies and cut into squares.



EXERCISE:
So most of my evening was spent on the road since we had to run up to Andrews, SC and then had dinner in Georgetown. I definitely knew I had to work out tonight because of the brownies + the time stuck in the car. Tonight, I decided to do an Oldie but a Goodie and did Walk Away the Pounds - 3 miles. It's a great 45 minute indoor walking video. It was the first time that I had ever done it since I got my HRM. The result? 237 calories burned. Not too bad if you ask me!!

So long for today...

6 comments:

  1. I have always been hesitant to try any type of zucchini bread, but your brownies look absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the idea of this! Zucchini is probably one of my favorite veggies because it is so versatile. I can't wait to try this - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole - They were so good. Definitely didn't last long at the office. Needless to say, they were all shocked when I told them the brownies had zucchini in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ella - I made zucchini bread for the first time last weekend. It turned out delicious, too! A bit healthier than the brownies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will have to go on my list for all of the zucchini that is going to be coming out of my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finding new ways to use zucchini. I'm planning to do a zucchini casserole this weekend.

    ReplyDelete