Sunday, June 24, 2012

Healthier Zucchini Bread



Whew! What a busy day! Today was chocked full of so much activity and so much fun, too! It was a typical Sunday where we went to church. Afterwards, we headed up to my parents house. It was too hot to run today, so while Addison was napping, I had the great idea to go for a bike ride around the lake. TC was supportive and went with me. I had decided that I wanted to ride for about an hour. So we stopped about a half hour into it for a water break. Well, once we started riding back, we realized that TC's back tire was flat. Here we are almost 4 1/2 miles away from civilization and we have a flat tire. So TC said that if I would run, he would ride my bike and push his. So that is what we did. We took a couple of breaks to just walk for a little bit but other than that, we were high-tailing it back to try to beat the storm. We didn't quite beat the storm and about the last mile of our trek was in the rain. So I feel like I did a tri-athalon today. I biked, ran and then swam through the rain back. That counts, right?

So one thing that has been on my baking bucket list is zucchini bread. I tried it years ago and loved it and have wanted to make some ever since. I finally got the chance to do this after I picked up some zucchini at the farmer's market this week. I searched for different recipes and finally decided on this one because it was a little healthier. It was absolutely delicious, too! Here's the recipe:

HEALTHIER ZUCCHINI BREAD
adapted from The Sweets Life
Servings: 20
Points+: 5



2 1/2 c. shredded zucchini (approximately 2 medium)
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. canola oil
3/4 c. egg beaters or 3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 c. sugar (cut down from the original 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
3 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray the bottoms of 2 (8x4) inch pans (or 4 mini loaf pans) with cooking spray.

Mix zucchini, applesauce, oil, eggs, vanilla, and sugar until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients except the walnuts until well blended. Fold in walnuts.

Divide batter evenly among prepared pans. Bake 50-60 min (or 25-35 min for mini pans) until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing loaves and cooling completely on wire racks.



EXERCISE:
So in addition to my tri-athalon earlier, I also got in level 1 of Yoga Meltdown tonight, since it's Sunday. But I'm sure that's what you expected. What you probably didn't expect was that we went on the peddle boat tonight with my parent's for a little while. Even though I didn't wear my HRM and do any official tracking of activity points, I still burned some calories! Every little bit counts!

So long for today...


3 comments:

  1. Haven't made zucchini bread in forever, I gotta try your healthier version, thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love subbing in some applesauce for all the oil in zucchini bread...works great :) I will definitely try this version soon! Zucchini season is HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I'm realizing that a lot of my posts lately have used zucchini! Oops! I've also heard of using greek yogurt for the oil...

    ReplyDelete