Friday, March 22, 2013

Lemon-Lime Cupcakes



Who's ready for the weekend? I definitely have both of my hands up. These last couple of weeks have been very trying for me and I am so ready for a break! We are going to the circus tonight and other than that, we have nothing planned for the weekend. Still considering the whole hibernation idea, but we'll see. I still have to fight with myself just to make myself slow down a little bit. It's hard to get things done when you're supposed to be relaxing with your feet up!

Even though it may not feel like it outside, IT'S SPRING!!! Of course, maybe it does feel like Spring where you are. If it does, I am so jealous!! If it doesn't these cupcakes are the perfect dessert to brighten your day. The flavors are absolutely delicious and they really have a great texture. I promise you that you won't be able to tell that they're light, and neither will anyone else! Here's the recipe:

LEMON-LIME CUPCAKES
adapted from Emily Bites
Servings: 24
Points+: 3



1 (18.25 oz) box of yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Super Moist)
1 can of diet lemon-lime soda (I used Sprite Zero)
2 egg whites
1 lemon
1 lime
8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese - do not substitute fat free
1 c powdered sugar

Preheat oven per directions on cake mix box.

Line cupcake pan(s) with 24 cupcake liners or use cooking spray to lightly coat 24 spots

Zest both the lemon and lime and set zest aside. Cut both fruits in half. Using a reamer, or by hand, ream/squeeze the juice from half a lemon and half a lime into a large bowl. Set the other halves aside.

In the large bowl with the lemon & lime juice, add the cake mix, soda, egg whites and half of the lemon and lime zest. Beat together with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed. Pour mixture evenly into cupcake spaces, filling each about 2/3 full.

Bake according to directions on cake mix box. Let cool completely before frosting.

In a separate bowl, squeeze or ream the juice from the remaining lemon and lime halves* and add the remaining zest, the Neufchatel cheese and the sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and then use to frost the cupcakes.

* The frosting isn't meant to be stiff per say, but you may want to mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar first and then add the lemon and lime juice bit by bit until you reach your desired flavor & consistency!



EXERCISE:
I was so tired last night and really needed to relax. I did get my 8,000 steps in for the day, but that was it. Sometimes, it just feels so nice to take the time to relax. Hope I can do it more often during these next couple of months.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment