Sunday, August 4, 2013

Apple Banana Oatmeal Muffins

 
 
 
I can give you so many excuses for why I haven't posted in so long.  But there is only one reason.  He now weighs about 13 pounds and has the cutest smiles.  I only have a couple of weeks left of maternity leave and I am savoring every moment.  If there was a way that I didn't have to go back to work, I'd do it in a second.  I know that he will be ok at daycare and I will be ok going back to work (eventually) but it's just so hard to leave him.  I know that it's time to find our new normal as a family of four, but I've really enjoyed these last weeks living in our little bubble.  I hope you will bear with me during these next few weeks as I transition into that new normal. 

I had some bananas that were getting pretty brown and needed to be used.  I also have been trying to incorporate more oatmeal into my daily diet.  The oatmeal is one thing that is supposed to help to increase milk production in nursing mothers.  As one of those nursing mothers, I will definitely eat more oatmeal to be able to feed my baby!  So I searched Pinterest and found these muffins.  I wasn't sure how they would turn out with all of the different textures, but they are delicious!  TC likes them, too!  They have a ton of nutrients in them from all of the fruit and the oatmeal.  If you wanted to, you could also add some PB2 or use whole wheat flour if you wanted to.  Here's the recipe:

APPLE BANANA OATMEAL MUFFINS
adapted from Rock Recipes
Servings: 15
Points+: 3

Mix together and set aside:
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Beat together until fluffy:
2 eggs
4 tbsp vegetable oil
6 tbsp sugar
 
Blend in:
2/3 cup milk
 
Fold in the dry ingredients and when the flour is almost incorporated fold in:
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1 cup grated apple (approximately one large apple)
Do not over mix. Fold in only until the fruit is mixed through the batter.
Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 -25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
EXERCISE:
I'm happy to report that I am have gotten back into a regular exercise routine.  I've been running a few days a week and I've been working in either a yoga video or a strength training video throughout the week as well.  It feels great to be getting back in shape.  Of course, I'm pretty out of shape right now, so it's going to take a while to get back to where I was, but I will get back to it again.  I know it will take a while to get there, but I've accepted that.
 
I hope you all are doing well!  I will try to keep in touch a little better.

So long for today...

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....those look good. I eat SO MUCH oatmeal it is ridiculous. But, Ina and I are going strong on 8 months of nursing, so it must be helping!

    I will be thinking of you over the next few weeks. I know how hard going back to work can be. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Racheal! I wish I could work from home on days like some other bloggers I know :-) But that isn't an option for me.

      Delete