Monday, November 12, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup - from Scratch!!


Well, hello my friends! Have you missed me? I have a few things that I have been working on lately that I will share with you within the next few weeks. I've been pretty busy with Halloween and we also took a trip to PA to see some family and friends. We are back now and I promise to post more often. Maybe not every day, but definitely a few times a week. I've missed you all so much and can't wait to share everything with you.

Over this past weekend, I made some chicken noodle soup. This is the real deal. I start with a whole chicken and cook it all the live long day. I love the result of doing this. The chicken is so incredibly tender. I started making this recipe many years ago and it's turned into something that I absolutely love. I've made it into my own. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do and feel free to add your own spin to it. Here's the recipe:

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
A Southen Living Yankee Original
Servings: 8 - 10
Points+: 8


1 whole chicken
3 - 4 bay leaves
1 T. parsley
salt & pepper
2 spines celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 c. frozen corn

Rinse chicken well, removing extra parts and checking for any leftover feathers or pins. Place in large pan and cover with water. Add bay leaves and parsley and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Bring to boil over hight heat, then reduce heat to low. Allow to cook for 6 - 8 hours, until chicken is fall off of bones.

Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool a bit. Skim any fat off top of broth, then add veggies to broth. Turn heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones, making sure to discard all fat/skin. Add chicken back into veggie broth and allow to combine. I also do a taste test at this point and usually add more salt in, but just do it to your taste.

At this point, I usually cook noodles separately and then serve them with the soup. This is just because it makes so much soup and I usually end up with leftovers. When they sit for a while, they soak up the broth and become mushy. But if you think you will eat it all, go ahead and cook the noodles in the broth. Enjoy.


EXERCISE:
Yes, I've still been doing this, too! I'm still keeping up with my 10,000 steps-a-day challenge. And I'm doing pretty well with it. I've also been adding in some pilates and strength training to my routine. I've cut back on a lot of the videos that I've been doing and coming up with some of my own stuff. That way, I can get caught up on my shows and still get in a good workout. It's a win-win!

So long for today...

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the best chicken noodle soup recipes I have ever seen. I think I am going to try to make this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever make this soup? It's so yummy but pretty simple, too!

      Delete