Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup



Happy National Running Day! How did you celebrate? Did you go for a run? Hopefully, you were able to at least get some kind of activity in. If you live in the South, you still would have been dodging raindrops for most of the day! But the good news is that I think the rest of the week is supposed to be beautiful!

I was having a great day in points this morning. I was being good for lunch and I met some friends at Subway. Well, for some reason, instead of getting my usual roasted chicken salad, I decided I wanted a sub. So I got the Subway Club on wheat bread. Pretty good. Right? Well, I also added avocado and some light mayo. With that, I had a bag of the Baked Lays chips. When you add it all up, including the cheese I got on the sandwich, it comes out to 15 points. Ouch! What was I thinking? I should have just stuck to what I knew worked. So obviously, the 12 point dinner that I had planned for tonight wasn't going to work. Luckily, I already had some shredded chicken in the fridge to use. So I went online and looked through a couple of recipes and came up with this. Here's the recipe:

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Servings: 4
Points+: 4



1 can Campbell’s 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Campbell’s Fiesta Cheese Soup
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. fajita seasoning
1 1/2 c. chicken breast, cooked & shredded

Spray medium pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender. Add reminaing ingredients. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for 30 - 60 minutes. You can serve this with baked tortilla strips, baked tortilla strips or even just crackers.



EXERCISE:
Well, my plans changed today. I was going to start Level 4 of Ripped in 30, but when I found out that it was a national holiday, I decided to go for a run in order to celebrate. Since I started running, I felt that it was my duty to get this run in. Plus, since I didn't do so great with my eating today, I thought maybe I should do the exercise that gets the higher calorie burn. So it looks like I'm going to have to decide whether to start Level 4 tomorrow or stick to the planned Yoga. Hmm. Decisions, decisions!

So long for today...





6 comments:

  1. All I could think of is "How can you eat soup out of a square bowl." It's almost sacreligious!
    LOL
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny - You haven't lived until you've eaten soup out of a square bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill - It was so good! The tortilla strips made it even better. It's also extremely easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making this tomorrow. I need to double the recipe for the family. How much in a serving? A cup?

    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dena - The serving size is a very genrous cup. It's so easy to make! Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete