Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Salted Caramel Brownies



Oh my! I need to warn you. If you don't want to get addicted to these, you might not want to make them. Yes, they're that good! I've been looking for a recipe for homemade brownies. Now, I have used boxed brownie mix in the past. I might even have a box sitting on my kitchen counter at this very moment. However, I have really been making an effort to do more things from scratch. I like to get away from using things that have a lot of perservatives and processed ingredients in them. I don't like to use things that I can't pronounce all the ingredients in them.

Enter these brownies. I saw these on Pinterest - shocker, I know. I figured since they were from Cooking Light, they couldn't be all bad, right? I should also explain that my cousin has an addiction to brownies. Since we are headed up there this weekend, I decided to feed his addiction and take some brownies. In all honesty, I very rarely show up at their house without brownies. So, I needed to test these on the guinea pigs at work to see how they were. Needless to say, they were delicious! Here's the recipe:

SALTED CARAMEL BROWNIES
adapted from I Can Cook That
Servings: 16
Points+: 6



Brownies:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cooking spray

Topping:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons evaporated fat-free milk, divided
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 ounce dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking powder) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine 6 tablespoons butter, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir to combine. Scrape batter into a 9-inch square metal baking pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 19 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan on a wire rack.



To prepare topping, melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and powdered sugar; stir with a whisk until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over cooled brownies. Let stand 20 minutes or until set.

Combine 2 tablespoons milk and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 45 seconds or until melted, stirring after 20 seconds. Stir just until smooth; drizzle over caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt; let stand until set. Cut into squares.



EXERCISE:
One more night! I'm going to do Level 3 of Jillian's Ripped in 30 workout for one more night. Then tomorrow I will start Level 4. Yikes! I have to admit something though. I love being sore after I workout...within reason. I still want to be able to walk. I just like to feel it in my muscles. It lets me know that I worked my muscles in a way that they're not used to. It lets me know that I'm actually working them out! It's a great feeling. Yes, I know. I might be a little crazy. But it's ok :)

So long for today...



4 comments:

  1. Love your blog!

    Beth @ http://definitelyleopard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies! These were so good! Disappeared pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete