Monday, June 4, 2012

Microwave Basic White Sauce



Happy Monday everyone! It was a rainy and dreary day this morning. It didn't make for a very happy Monday, but since we had such a beautiful weekend, I'm not going to complain too much. I can handle the rain much better during the week than on the weekend. They say it's supposed to rain for a couple more days and then clear out for the weekend. Like I said, definitely not complaining!

So let's talk about your basic white sauce. White sauce is such a versatile thing! You can add some cheese to it and make a delicious macaroni and cheese. That's what I do here. Or you can add some sweetness to it and use it as a sauce for Chicken Divan. That recipe will be coming soon. There are so many options. Just go ahead and Google it! It will make your head spin.

For this recipe, you make it in the microwave which makes it so easy, too! So my goal was to make it light. It was really easy to do. I just used light butter and low fat milk. I used 1%, but you could use skim or 2% if you want to. Just adjust the points accordingly. I was actually surpised that the points ended up being so low for this. Here's the recipe:

MICROWAVE BASIC WHITE SAUCE
adapted from Fannie Farmer Cookbook
Servings: 4
Points+: 2



2 T. light butter
2 T. flour
1 c. low fat milk
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in 1 qt. microwave safe bowl about 15 - 30 seconds. Add flour and stir until blended and smooth. Stir in the milk and salt and pepper.

Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir. Return to microwave and heat for additional 1 - 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened.



EXERCISE
Tonight's exercise will be Level 3 of Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. I think I might do Level 3 for a few more days since I didn't start it until late last week. It's still kind of hard for me to do. I like to do it until my muscles are used to the moves before I move on to the next level! I'm definitely feeling last night's yoga today! But it feels good!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment