Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Red Wine London Broil



Is it raining where you are? We sure have gotten a ton of rain the last few days. We definitely don't need any more...unfortunately, that's exactly what we're supposed to get! I do think that tomorrow is the last day that it's supposed to rain for a little while, but I am so over this rain. Luckily, we did get a little bit of a break this afternoon, but I know there is still more coming. Here's to hoping the weatherman is wrong!

I bought a london broil the end of last week when I went to the meat market to get some burgers to take to Charlotte. So this week, I realized that I still had to use it. I had made the balsamic london broil a while back and it was really good, but I wanted to share a new recipe with you guys. So after searching, this is what I came up with. It was good, but it wasn't as good as the other one. I'm not sure if it was missing something in general or if it just needed to be marinated a little longer. Maybe 4 hours wasn't enough? Here's the recipe:

RED WINE LONDON BROIL
adapted from Allrecipes
Servings: 6
Points+: 5



1/2 cup water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 bay leaf
1 (1 1/2-pound) beef flank steak

In a small bowl, whisk the water, vinegar, oil, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add bay leaf. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag.

Score the surface of the steak, making diamond shapes 1/4 in. deep; add to marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.

Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain and discard marinade. Pat steak dry with paper towels. Combine the remaining garlic salt, thyme and pepper; rub over both sides of steak.

Grill steak, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145 degrees F; medium, 160 degrees F; well-done, 170 degrees F). Thinly slice across the grain.



EXERCISE:
Since we had a break in the rain this evening, I decided to go for a run. I did get 3 miles in, but ended up having to walk the last little bit. Not sure why, but I got some pretty bad stitches in my stomach that refused to go away no matter how much walking I did. After a nice warm shower and some relaxing with Addie, they've gone away. I guess that means its time for my #plankaday!

So long for today...

2 comments:

  1. I love London Broil it is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - It's one of my favorites, too! I love grilling it. Check out the other london broil recipe on here. That night, I told my hubby that it was good enough to be "date night" food!

    ReplyDelete