Sunday, June 3, 2012

Light Lemon-Blueberry Doughnuts


What a beautiful day today! It was a rare South Carolina summer day where the temps were in the mid 80's and the humidity was relatively low. I love days like this! To take advantage, we headed out to the lake with my sister and niece. We spent a few hours out there enjoying the sun and the sand before we had to head back home for naptime. I will take as many more days like this as Mother Nature wants to give us!

Before we headed to the lake, I had promised my sister that I would make her some blueberry doughnuts with the fresh blueberries that I got last week. So while the girls sat at the counter, my sister gave me moral support in the kitchen while I made some lemon-blueberry doughnuts. They were pretty good, although I think they would be better with all white flour and maybe some vanilla extract. If I make them again, I will try to change a couple of things up and let you know. Here is the recipe:

LIGHT LEMON-BLUEBERRY DOUGHNUTS
adapted from Shape.com
Servings: 12
Points+: 3


1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup granulated sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt


1 egg

1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt

1 tablespoon canola oil

zest of one lemon, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cups fresh blueberries


1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 T. lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray. If you're using an electric doughnut maker, make sure to read the manufacturer's directions. 

Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Combine all wet ingredients except for blueberries into a separate mixing bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry just until combined, then gently fold in the blueberries. 

For mini doughnuts, drop one tablespoon of batter into each doughnut form. Use two tablespoons for traditional-size doughnuts. 
Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown.

For glaze: combine powdered sugar and lemon juice and whisk until all the lumps are gone. Dip each doughnut in the glaze. Allow to dry for a few minutes to allow glaze to set. If you want, you can make additional glaze and dip again. Enjoy!


EXERCISE:
This morning, after having some eggs and toast for breakfast, I got a nice 3.5 mile run in. It was the perfect morning for a run. The skies were blue, the sun was out, the humidity was low and the temperatures were actually kind of cool. I could have run longer, but we had to get to the lake. I also got in my Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown - Level 2 tonight. I realized that it had been 2 weeks since I did yoga. It felt so nice to stretch my muscles again! It's back to the circuit work tomorrow though!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment