Friday, June 1, 2012

Italian Chicken Sausage Gyros


So my friend Tracy has been talking about these chicken sausages that she has been eating and just loves. I swear she has these things a couple times a week! She told me the brand name was Al Fresco. Well, I searched my local grocery stores and I couldn't find them. Then I thought to check in the fresh meat department instead of the deli meat area. This is where I found them. Of course, I was so excited, I took a picture and sent it to Tracy right away.


Then I had to figure out how I was going to cook them. I had so many ideas running through my head. I finally decided to make them into a gyro type sandwich. Since they already had the italian seasonings in them, I didn't want to add an additional seasonings, so I kept it simple. I just cooked the sausages in a skillet on the stove and added the peppers and onions to them.


My kitchen smelled like the County Fair last night. So good! Tracy sure knew what she was talking about with these. I'm definitely going to make them again! I added a little bit of homemade tzatziki sauce to it as a final touch. I tried it, and YUM! It was so good! I could have eaten two, but resisted the urge. Since it's summer, you could also grill these up, too and they would taste just as good, maybe even better. Here's the recipe:

ITALIAN CHICKEN SAUSAGE GYROS
Servings: 5
Points+: 6


1 package Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage (I like Al Fresco brand)
1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5 Fat Free taco sized tortillas (I like La Banderita brand)
light tzatziki sauce

Heat skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken sausages and cook until well done. Add peppers and onions and cook until tender, adding more cooking spray if needed.

Add 1 sausage and some peppers and onions to one tortilla. Add 1 - 2 tablespoons of tzatziki sauce. Tuck one end of the tortilla in and roll. Enjoy.


EXERCISE
Well, I am not ashamed to say that I didn't exercise last night. I did do my plank hold, but that was it. I had fallen asleep with Addison and when I woke up, it was almost 9:30. Since my bedtime is around 10:00, I didn't want to be just finishing a workout at this time. Plus, for some reason, I was extremely tired, so I called it a night and went to bed early. A day of rest is good here and there. And I think this one definitely did my body good! But don't worry, I'll get back to it tonight!

So long for today...

2 comments: