Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tex-Mex Chicken & White Cheddar Spaghetti



Thank goodness for Thur-Fridays! Even though this week went by pretty quickly, I was still so happy that this was my last day of work this week. This weekend is going to be busy but fun. It all starts tomorrow with my hair appointment with Jimmy. It's amazing how good getting your hair cut and colored will make you feel. Then we're going to do some shopping and hang out with my sister and her family for a little while. After that, we'll be coming home, get some packing done and some brownies baked. Tomorrow evening, we are going to a graduation party for our neighbor. Saturday morning, we'll be heading to Charlotte as soon as the little one's feet hit the ground. We're going to a birthday party up there for my cousin's son. We'll be coming back home on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to my parents getting back into town on Sunday evening, too. Even though we just saw them a week and a half ago, it's nice to have them close by. Like I said, it's going to be a busy weekend!

I've really been looking forward to making this meal. I've had the recipe ingredients for a week or so and have been waiting for the right night to have this meal. It's kind of pointy in my opinion, so I needed a day that I kept my eating under control. I will admit that this meal is well worth the 12 points though! The original recipe called for jalapenos and cilantro, but I'm not a fan of either of those, so I substituted green chiles and parsley. Here's the recipe:

TEX-MEX CHICKEN & WHITE CHEDDAR SPAGHETTI
adapted from Lauren’s Latest
Points+: 12
Servings: 4



3/4 lb. thin spaghetti
1 T. light butter
1 c. diced yellow onion
2 T. all purpose flour
1 c. chicken stock
1 c. milk
8 oz. reduced fat sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
1 T. chopped green chiles + 1/2 tablespoon juice
1/2 t. cumin
salt & pepper, to taste
2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
3 T. chopped parsleyfo

Bring large pot of water to boil. Cook spaghetti to al dente and drain. Remove hot pot to burner. Melt butter and saute onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk to prevent lumps. Increase heat to thicken sauce. Sprinkle in grated cheese and stir continuously to melt into sauce evenly. Stir in cumin, salt, pepper, green chiles, green chiles juice, chicken, cooked spaghetti and parsley. Toss to coat everything evenly in sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings. Enjoy!



EXERCISE
I got a bonus workout in tonight. I was going to take Addison for a walk while TC mowed the grass, but decided to try to jog a little bit instead. About 40 minutes and 400 burned calories later, we made it back home. I was torn between doing Ripped in 30 or Yoga Meltdown but since I got the extra workout in, Yoga Meltdown it is!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment