Thursday, June 28, 2012

Chicken Pad Thai


I am so glad that Wednesday. Not only because it means we are on the downward side of the week, but also because we finally have the camper. I was pretty stressed out about this and my eating definitely proved that. I have had great difficulty stopping the hand to mouth motion the last couple of days. We got the camper last night, so now the work starts. The money is gone, the camper is here and there shouldn't be anything else to stress over, right? Ha!

For dinner, I made a new recipe that I found on Lauren's Latest. Ever since I had Pad Thai at a local restaurant a few years back, I've wanted to try to re-create it. I looked over the recipe and had everything but the Hoisin sauce and rice noodles. Well, I had to use ric sticks for this since I couldn't find the noodles in my local grocery stores. I'm sure I could have if I looked hard enough, but I didn't want to take the time to go to every store in the area looking for these. So the sticks would work for me. You can add any combination of veggies that you want. It's whatever you like. This recipe was good, but not great. I think it was the vinegar that I didn't like. So I guess I will continue searching for a pad thai recipe that I love! Here's tonight's recipe:

CHICKEN PAD THAI
adapted from Lauren's Latest
Servings: 4
Points+: 11


4 T. soy sauce
3 T. hoisin sauce
4 T. sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
7 oz packaged rice noodles
1 lb. uncooked boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
1 c. chopped, uncooked onion
1/2 c. Egg Beaters
3/4 c. shredded carrots
3/4 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper, any color

In small bowl, combine soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, garlic, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and set aside to allow sugar to dissolve.

Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to package directions. While those are cooking, place large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray, add chicken and veggies and cook until cooked is lightly browned and veggies are tender. Move chicken and veggies to one side of skillet and pour the Egg Beaters into the other side. Cook until Egg Beaters are cooked. Add drained rice noodles and sauce to skillet. Stir to combine. If you need more sauce, add some water or chicken broth.

Garnish with peanuts, cilantro or green onions. Whatever you have on hand.


EXERCISE:
I am very happy that I have gotten to a place where running helps me to relieve stress. Well, I was very stressed after my long day and definitely needed a run. I'm still keeping it kind of easy, but I did manage to get 3.5 miles in. It felt so good, too. I definitely wanted to enjoy the beautiful weather that we're having. It's forecasted to be over 100 degrees this weekend. Yuck! Looks like any running I do will be restricted to the early morning hours only!

So long for today...






1 comment:

  1. This is going on my list to make the week we get back from our travels! NUM!

    ReplyDelete