Friday, June 15, 2012

Un-Processed Challenge



I have a challenge coming up and I'd really like your input on it. A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine said that she was going to try to go an entire week without eating any processed foods. She said that she wanted to see if it made a difference in how she feels. I thought that was a great idea and told her that I would love to join her in this challenge.

Since then, we have been trying to decide on what exactly defines a processed food. We have discussed it and have researched it and have tried to decide exactly how far we want to take this. I even had a discussion with some of the cashiers at Trader Joe's today about how to eat non-processed foods.

So here are some variations that we have come up with of how to eat non-processed foods:

1 - Eat all raw foods.

2 - Eat only foods that have never gone through a processing plant.

3 - Eat only those foods that have ingredients that you have in your kitchen and could re-create.

4 - Eat only foods that have no preservatives in them to keep them from spoiling.

5 - Eat only those foods that can be found in the outer perimeter of the grocery store.

My friend and I have had so many conversations, text messages and e-mails about this. We've kind of come up with our own version of a non-processed diet. We're going to stick with fresh fruits and vegetables, milk and yogurt, fresh meats (nothing from the deli), whole grains and spices that don't contain any preservatives.

In order to try to prepare myself for this week, I made a trip to Trader Joe's today.

Here is what I picked up:

Some whole grains to eat with my non-preservative spiced foods:


Some whole grain hot cereals for breakfast:


Some un-bleached flour to make some homemade pasta with:


Some organic spaghetti sauce:


This is what made me have the conversation with the cashier. I realize this was processed in a plant, but all of the ingredients are the same ones that I would use if I made it myself. The only thing used to preserve this is salt. Here is the list of ingredients:


The final few items I got were some goodies that will be used up after the non-processed week:


So here is my game plan:

Breakfast - Eggs and homemade toast or Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and homemade granola.

Lunch - Pear & almond salads with homemade salad dressing; tossed salads with grilled chicken breast or shrimp.

Dinner - Grilled chicken, beef or seafood with some brown rice or other whole grain and steamed fresh veggies.

Snacks - Fresh fruits or veggies, air popped pop-corn, yogurt, cheese.

So what do you think? Any suggestions for me? I'm very open to any new ideas. Please feel free to share.

EXERCISE:
I'm going to confess, I started to workout tonight and was just too tired to do it. I did manage to do a plank hold for over 3:30, so at least that's something. But other than that, I have officially decided to take a day of rest!

So long for today...








1 comment:

  1. I would like to do something like this, too. Are you starting on Monday?

    ReplyDelete