Friday, May 17, 2013

Strawberries & Cream Dessert Squares



It's strawberry season! Well, it's been strawberry season in SC for a while now and I have definitely had my fair share of them. We recently discovered a local farm that has U-Pick strawberries. They also sell already picked strawberries, as well as so many other fruits and vegetables. My mother and I both have made multiple trips out to their farm to buy strawberries. They're a little off the beaten path, but it's so worth it! I made a trip out there yesterday to replenish my supply and I had this dessert in mind when I was out there.

This is a combination of a couple of different recipes. It takes a little bit of time to make since you have the different layers, but it's worth the time and effort that you put into it. Addison had her end of school program this evening, so we just had some pizza for dinner and I wanted to have a dessert for everyone, too. I've been wanting to make this again for a little while and tonight was the perfect excuse for it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Here's the recipe:

STRAWBERRIES & CREAM DESSERT SQUARES
adapted from Betty Crocker
Servings: 16
Points+: 7



Crust:
1 pouch sugar cookie mix
1/2 c. light butter
1 egg

Filling:
1 container Fat-Free Cool Whip
8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
2 T. Splenda

Topping:
4 c. sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. Splenda
2 T. cornstarch
1/3 c. water
10 - 12 drops food color, if desired

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 15x10x1- or 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter and egg until soft dough forms. Press evenly in bottom of pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

In medium bowl, combine Cool Whip, cream cheese and 2 T. Splenda. Blend until smooth. Spread over cooled cookie crust.

In small bowl, crush 1 cup of the strawberries. In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in crushed strawberries and 1/3 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in food color. Cool 10 minutes. Gently stir in remaining 3 cups strawberries. Spoon topping over filling. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set; serve within 4 hours. Store covered in refrigerator.



So I'm still not getting any exercise in these days. I'm just pooped by the end of the day and have been experiencing some swelling in my legs lately, so I've been trying to take it easy these days.

I hope you all have a great weekend. I think we are starting Operation Baby Eviction this weekend. We'll see how it goes! My dr. says that it really doesn't matter what you do, that baby will come when he's ready, but it can't hurt to try!

So long for today...

1 comment:

  1. This looks very good. Hope all is well with you and the baby!!

    ReplyDelete