Thursday, June 6, 2013

Freezer Breakfast Burritos

When I was pregnant, I wanted to build-up a pretty good stash of foods in the freezer to eat after the baby came. I knew that things would be pretty hectic, so anything that I could just pull out of the freezer and heat up would be awesome!! I also knew that I would need some things to make some quick breakfasts and lunches when I was home alone with baby. One of the things I wanted to make was (were?) breakfast burritos. I love the ones from the place with the Golden Arches, but knew that I could make some that were healthier and just as good!

I looked all through pinterest and on other people's blogs for ideas. I was watching The Pioneer Woman one day and she made these. She didn't put them in the freezer, but I knew that they could easily be frozen and then just warmed over later when I needed one. The result was nothing but delicious! Here's the recipe:

FREEZER BREAKFAST BURRITOS
adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Servings: 12
Points+: 7

1 lb. turkey breakfast sausage
8 eggs
6 egg whites
1 t. chopped chives
1/2 t. seasoned salt
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 3/4 c. reduced fat shredded cheese
12 Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas



In a large skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, cook the onion and pepper until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add the turkey sausage to the skillet and cook until lightly browned.



Combine eggs, egg whites, chives and seasoned salt. Beat until all ingredients are well combined.



Add the eggs to the skillet with the sausage and cook until eggs are well done.



Add in the peppers and onions and mix until all ingredients are well combined.



Now we start to assembled these bad boys. Lay out a tortilla and add 1/12 of the egg mixture to the middle of the tortilla. This ends up being about 2/3 of a cup. Sprinkle some of the cheese over top.



Fold the tortilla into little burrito packages. Start by folding one end of the tortilla, continue to roll, tucking the ends into the middle and finish rolling up.



I then wrapped each burrito in aluminum foil and placed them all in a freezer bag before freezing.

When I am ready to eat one, I either let one thaw overnight in the fridge then heat until warm or I will heat a frozen burrito on 40% heat for 4 minutes, flipping halfway through. These are really good and so convenient. What can be better when you're in a hurry for breakfast?!

Enjoy!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment