Thursday, January 16, 2014

Crockpot Refried Beans


Hey there friends! I hope you're all having a great week. It's nearly over. I'm not sure about where you are, but the weather here has been all over the place. It's cooler today, but the last few days have been pretty warm. It's supposed to stay cool for a while now, but as we all know, that's always subject to change where the weather is concerned. We leave for our cruise in 9 days and I cannot wait! One of the reasons that I love to cruise so much is that when I'm on the ship, I have no contact with the outside world. I'm unreachable! Not that I don't love being in the know, but sometimes it's nice to unplug. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I wanted to share this recipe with you that I made a while back for crockpot refriend beans. I hate to buy canned things all the time. They have so much sodium in them and it's so much cheaper to make my own of a lot of things. These refried beans are a perfect example. I know, I know, they're not true "refried" beans since they never get fried, but I promise, you'll never know the difference. They're really easy to make and since it's a crockpot recipe, what's not to love? Here's the recipe:

CROCKPOT REFRIED BEANS
adapted from Rachel Cooks
Servings: 24
Points+: 3


2 pounds dried pinto beans (approximately 5 cups), rinsed and sorted
1 medium to large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of salt (more to taste)
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
9+ cups of water

Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on high for 6-8 hours or until beans are soft and mash easily. Add more water if necessary during cooking. I added two cups about 2/3 of the way through cooking because it was looking dry. It doesn't hurt to have extra water, but you don't want them to dry up.

Reserving the liquid, strain the beans out into a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Add the reserved liquid until you reach the consistency you desire. Serve, or cool completely and freeze in portions appropriate for your family.


The next time you have Mexican Monday, Taco Tuesday or even Fajita Friday, you should definitely try these beans. They're a great way to round out your meal that everyone will love.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment