Thursday, April 14, 2016

Thursday Thoughts {4/14}

Hey there! Sometimes, as my mother puts it, I tend to “over-subscribe” myself. I sign up for so many things at once and I tend to get overwhelmed. Life as a mom alone can be overwhelming at times, when you start adding in all of the other “stuff” sometimes it can just be too much. At these times, it can help to just write things down and get your thoughts in front of you. So, that’s what this post will be. I’ve been mulling over something all week and I wanted to get it down here for myself and maybe see if any of you might be able to offer me some insight.

A little over a month ago, I joined the gym. This was a huge step outside of my comfort zone for me. I had been an at-home worker-outer (Yes, I can totally make up my own words here) for years and that’s what I was used to. I have a huge home workout DVD collection with a variety of different trainers and programs. But I thought maybe the gym would help me in a couple of different ways. I wanted to start building some muscle and, after talking to my friend Stephanie and the great success that she’s experienced, thought the gym could help me with this. I also saw the gym as an opportunity to share Advocare with others. After I found out that my company offered a great discount on a membership, I decided to go ahead and sign up. At first, I loved it. It was great getting to use all of the machines that were there. I was also using the treadmill to get some additional cardio and steps in. I was doing great UNTIL…

Last weekend, I had a crazy busy Sunday. I had forgotten my FitBit at home while I went to church and the grocery store, in turn, missing out on about 4000-5000 steps. Well, at the end of the day, I decided that I still wanted to hit my 10,000 step goal for the day. So, I pulled out one of my home cardio workouts and I met that goal! During that workout, I realized that I actually missed my at-home workouts and this made my mental relationship with the gym change. All this week, I have had to force myself to go to the gym. I’ve really wanted to stay home, but since I’m currently paying for it, I feel like I still need to go.

Another thing I miss are my early morning workouts. I NEVER thought I would say that, but I do enjoy getting my workouts in early in the morning. Then, I don’t have to worry about any excuses later in the day. I feel like I’ve lost my evenings now since I’ve been going to the gym. I’m also a bang for your buck kind of girl. I like to get a good calorie burn in a short amount of time. With the gym, I’m working out for twice as long, but I’m not getting twice the amount of calories burned. I feel like I waste so much time in between sets and wiping down the machines when I’m done with them.

The longer the week has gone on, the more I realize that I am going to go ahead and quit the gym. Ive totally had his episode of Friends in my head all week, too!! I’m going to go ahead and build my home “gym” with some new equipment that will allow me to do some workouts outside. I’d like to look into some Crossfit style workouts and maybe get TC to do them with me.

I’m a total mental person. When it’s such a mental struggle for me to get to the gym and then spend my time there thinking about what I COULD be doing at home, I might as well wave the white flag and surrender, because I’m done.

So, now I want your input. How do you get your exercise in? How often do you work out and how long are your workouts? I’m thinking about adding a couple new videos to my collection and would love your opinions. Which programs do you like most?

If you’ve read this whole post, I thank you. Sometimes, I just need to talk myself through something, and this post seemed like the best way to do it.

So long for today…
 photo BlogSignature_zps1655d88b.jpg Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment