Saturday, October 6, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts


Hope you're all having a great weekend. Sorry for the lack of posts the last couple of days. I know I still owe you one for what I made my mom for her birthday. Don't worry. It's coming. I just have to get it up.

Since Fall has been getting closer (kind of) I have been in the mood for some Fall flavors. It hasn't helped that a lot of the bloggers that I follow have been making all kinds of recipes using apples and pumpkin. I have also been hungry for some baked doughnuts. So when the weekend rolled around again, I knew that I had to make something with pumpkin, preferably doughnuts. I did some searching and found the perfect recipe on Nicole's website, but I came up with a different glaze for my doughnuts that went perfectly with them! Here's the recipe:

BAKED PUMPKIN SPICE DOUGHNUTS
adapted from Prevention RD
Servings: 16
Points+: 4


2 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. sugar
2 T. unsalted butter (I used Melt)
2 t. baking powder
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
2 T. fat-free milk
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. skim milk
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
sprinkles (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, and butter and mix until the butter is incorporated. Add in the baking powder, spices, and salt and mix well.

In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk to incorporate. Mix wet ingredients into the dry until a thick dough forms.

Place the batter in a ziplock bag and snip off the end. Pipe the batter into the donut pan filling the pan 3/4 of the way full.

Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the donut springs back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool 3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.

To make the glaze, combine the milk, powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir until smooth.

Dip the donuts into the cinnamon glaze and top with sprinkles. Let the donuts sit for 15 minutes until the glaze hardens. Store in an air tight container for up to 2 days.


EXERCISE:
The last couple of days, we've still been getting in our walks and I've also done a little bit of strength work. This morning, I got in my 3 miles on my own while TC did some yard work and Addison visited with the neighbors. They are calling for cooler temperatures next week and I can't wait! Sounds like good running weather to me!

So long for today...

1 comment:

  1. Those are so cute! I bet they were delicious too! I made pumpkin cranberry muffins this morning, it was raining and it warmed the house up and made it smell delicious!

    ReplyDelete