Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Mac & Cheese


I know, I know, I know. I've been pretty slack on the blog lately. I promise that I have a good reason though! You see, yesterday was my birthday. I celebrated over the weekend and again yesterday. I even took the day off of work to make a long weekend out of it. It was such a great day. I went shopping with Addison and my mom, then came back and had a family dinner of burgers on the grill and had cake and ice cream with TC's and my families. It was so much fun!

I have been hungry for mac and cheese lately, but sometimes, I really hate to make it out of the blue box. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the stuff, but it's just not that good for you. So tonight, when I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner, mac and cheese kept popping into my head. I also had chicken thawed for dinner. So I figured why not combine the two and maybe throw in some broccoli for good measure. The result was nothing short of absolute deliciousness - yes, that's a word! Here's the recipe:

CREAMY CHICKEN & BROCCOLI MAC & CHEESE
Southern Living Yankee Original
Servings: 6
Points+: 10


2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1 c. skim milk
salt and pepper
4 c. cooked macaroni
4 oz. light Velveeta, cubed
4 4-oz chicken breasts, cubed
2 c. broccoli

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare macaroni according to package directions.

In a microwave safe bowl, heat butter in microwave until melted. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add milk and salt & pepper. And stir to combine as much as possible. Return to microwave and heat until butter/flour has melted and mixture has has started to thicken up. This should take about 3 - 4 minutes. Keep an eye on it and stir from time to time to keep from boiling over in microwave.

Add Velveeta cubes and return to microwave. Heat until Velveeta has melted and cheese sauce is smooth and creamy.

Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add chicken. I sprinkled mine with a little bit of Seasoning salt, but you can season yours however you want to. Cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 8 - 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook broccoli according to package directions.

Spray 2 1/2 qt. baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add cooked macaroni, chicken & broccoli to baking dish, then pour cheese sauce over top and stir to distribute the cheese sauce.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes, or until top turns golden brown.


EXERCISE:
I'm LOVING this Fall weather. The temps dropped drastically yesterday. I think Fall might finally be here! We added a couple of layers tonight and headed out for our 3 mile walk. It's been a few days since we've gone as a family, so it was nice to get it in again. It's supposed to get a little warmer over the next couple of days, but it should still be nice walking weather!

So long for today...

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good, I always make mine from scratch too. Havev you had Annie's Organic mac n cheese? I have a box in the pantryvto try.

    Birthdays are a month long, no? Sounds like you had a great birthday, many wishes for a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jilly - I've never tried Annie's but I've heard that it pretty good. Sometimes I feel like we celebrate a full month of birthdays!!

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing and Happy Late Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete