Thursday, February 14, 2013

Strawberry Valentine's Day Cupcakes


Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Personally, I am on the fence about this holiday. Yes, it's great to take a day and show the one you love how important they are to you, but why does there have to be a special day for this? Why do we have to be reminded to do this? And why does everything have such a crazy markup this week? Wait until the weekend and everything will be half price! I realized just how commercialized this day is this morning after I dropped my daughter off at school. They are having a party and I signed up to make cupcakes. I don't mind at all. I absolutely love to bake. But then I also had to take in a bag of candy for her to share. AND I had to do valentine's for all the kids in the class. I came to the realization this morning, that I had put a lot of time and money into this day for my daughter. She was very excited about her party and the cupcakes, so that makes it all worth it, but stil...

These cupcakes turned out perfect! I have another recipe that I will try soon using the strawberry cake mix that is a lot lighter, but I wanted to do these ones for her party. The smile on her face made all the effort worthwhile. She was so proud this morning going into school with the cupcakes. They call me Betty Crocker at her school because I am always making some kind of treat for her class. I don't mind. It lets me experiment in the kitchen and gives me a place to send the treats so they don't stay in the house. I have to confess that I have absolutely no idea where the recipe for the cupcakes came from. I have had it for years and don't remember where I got it. The frosting is Wilton's recipe and is delicious! Here are the recipes:


STRAWBERRY VALENTINE'S DAY CUPCAKESServings: 24
Points+: 11

Cupcakes:
1 strawberry cake mix
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
¾ t. salt
1 1/3 c. water
1 c. sour cream
2 T. vegetable oil
2 t. vanilla extract
4 egg whites

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with liners.

Stir together the white cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until well mixed. Pour in the water, sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and egg whites, and beat with an electric mix on low until all the ingredients are mixed and moistened but some lumps still remain, 4 minutes.

Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way with the batter and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 18 - 22 minutes. Allow to cool
before frosting.

Frosting:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
sprinkles (optional)

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.


EXERCISE:Another confession here. I was so tired yesterday. I didn't get any formal exercise in. I did make sure to get at least 8,000 steps in and ended up just over 9,000, but that was it. But I plan to do some prenatal pilates tonight.

I hope you all have a great day! And remember to show someone you love them!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment