Monday, April 13, 2015

Light Strawberry Pie

If you ask me, right now is theost wonderful time of the year. It's not the Christmas holiday season. It's really strawberry season! I absolutely love those juicy red berries. The only thing I don't like about this time of year, is that it's so short. We are lucky that we have a local farmer that grows berries that is close by. I make at least weekly trips out there once the berries are ready. The store bought berries have nothing on the fresh from the field ones that I pick at Wabi Sabi farms. I used to pick strawberries with my mom and grandmother when I lived in PA and love the memories that picking with my mom and daughter bring back.

So, I get all of these berries and can only eat so many plain, so what do I do with them? I make cobblers, pies, all kinds of desserts, freeze them for smoothies and I'm hoping to make a cake this year! Let's see if there is time for that!

It's sometimes hard to find desserts that are delicious but also easy on the waistline. But I definitely found one here. The jello helps to make it come together pretty quickly, too. Our diabetic neighbor even said it was delicious!! Here's the recipe:

Light Strawberry Pie
Source: Taste of Home
Points+:
Servings: 8

2 pints fresh strawberries
2 T. cornstarch 
1 1/2 c. cold water
1 3-oz. pkg. sugar free strawberry jello
3 T. sugar
1 pie crust (1 used one from the frozen section)
Fat free whipped cream (optional)

Quarter strawberries and set aside. Meanwhile, combine water and cornstarch in a large sauce pan. Heat over medium-high heat until boiling. Allow to cook for 2 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.

Remove from heat. Add gelatin and sugar and stir until dissolved. Add strawberries and stir to combine. Pour into baked pie crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.

Add whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Ours will be filled with wedding
Festivities for my sister-in-law!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment