Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies


Good morning friends! I'm so excited that I had a great on-plan day yesterday. I have been really struggling to get back on-plan lately. I'm not sure why, but I haven't been able to find the motivation. I've been starting over so many times in these last couple of months. After my Simple Start failure last week, I realized that I would do better with the PointsPlus tracking method. So I decided that's what I was going to do. Yesterday was my first day back on plan. It went a lot better than I thought it would. I even got a 3 mile run in during lunch. It was a beautiful day and they are forecasting some pretty nasty weather for us in the next couple of days, so I wanted to take advantage of an outside workout while I could. I'm so glad I did because it's pretty dreary around here today. I guess I'll just have to work harder to be sunny indoors, right?


So I would have had a pretty decent weekend with my points if I hadn't have made two different kinds of cookies. Yes, two. I didn't have anything specific that I needed to make them for. I just made them. Friday after dinner, I decided I needed (yes, NEEDED) some chocolate chip cookies. Luckily, my recipe doesn't call for room temperature butter. Although, I'm wondering if it might do me some good to always have a stick of butter at room temperature on my counter. You never know when you might need it, right? The other cookies that I made were these Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies. Guys, I couldn't stop eating them. They're that good. I added a little frosting that I had left over to them, too. Even better. I figured they would be a good Valentine's Day treat. But after I made them, I realized that I couldn't keep them in my house. I gave some to my parents, gave some to our neighbors and made TC take the rest to work with him. I just can't trust myself around them. Here's the recipe:

Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies
adapted from Tidy Mom
Servings: 30


1 package Red Velvet Cake Mix
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the butter and cream cheese. Mix until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, mix well. Add cake mix and continue mixing until a thick dough is formed. Add chocolate chips and gently mix. Place powdered sugar in a small bowl. Form one inch dough balls using a cookie scoop and roll into powdered sugar to coat. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the cookie scoops about 2 inches apart. Back for 10 - 12 minutes or until the centers are just set. Allow to cool completely on wire rack.


Now, at this point, I found it necessary to add some thinned out cream cheese frosting. I had it in the refrigerator, and it was BEGGING me to use it. Who was I to say no?

You will also notice that I didn't include the Points+ value for this recipe. I honestly don't even want to know what it is! I'm sure it's pretty high since it has the cream cheese AND the butter AND the chocolate chips. Sometimes, it's better to not know things. Ignorance is bliss, right?

So long for today...

 photo BlogSignature_zps1655d88b.jpg Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment