Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Baked Eggnog Doughnuts


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. Once again, I'm so sorry that I've been MIA for a while. But I have a few ideas churning in my head about how to fix that. I promise to try to be a better blogger for you. Maybe not a daily poster like I used to be, but hopefully a few times a week to give you some new recipes and keep you updated on what is going on.

My holidays were great. I hope yours were, too. Mine were full of family, friends and way too much food. But it's the new year, so of course that means a resolution to eat better and exercise more, right? I even hid my scale last night and don't plan to take it out until my official weigh-in day on Tuesday. I'm hoping I can counteract any damage that I did by then.

This is a recipe that I made for the first time last year and loved. When I had some eggnog that needed used up, I knew exactly what to make. I love doughnuts and don't make them enough. It's so fun to be able to use my doughnut pans! You obviously don't have to use red and green sprinkles/sugar. Use whatever you have on hand. Here's the recipe:

Baked Eggnog Doughnuts
adapted from Prevention RD
Servings: 16
Points+: 3


Donuts:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 large egg, at room temperature
3/4 cup low-fat eggnog, at room temperature
1/4 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 Tbsp low-fat eggnog
sprinkles to garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add the egg, eggnog and yogurt and stir until well combined.

Fill each donut well about 1/2 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the donuts spring back when lightly pressed. Transfer donuts to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before glazing.

To make the glaze: Whisk the confectioners’ sugar and eggnog in a wide, shallow bowl until smooth. Dip the donuts into the glaze then garnish with sprinkles (if using) while it’s wet. Allow the glaze to set before serving. Store the donuts in an airtight container. Yield: 1 1/2 dozen donuts.


EXERCISE:
So last night, I did get in a workout. I have a Prenatal workout DVD called Long & Lean. It has 3 parts. The first is a standing pilates workout. The second is a mat pilates workout and the final segment is some stretching. I usually do either the first or second part along with the stretching segment. Last night was the standing floor work with the stretching. I think it definitely helped me to get to sleep after a busy few days!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment