Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf Muffins


I hope you're all having a great weekend! It's a little cool here, but so far, the weather is beautiful. It's a three day weekend for me this weekend and I certainly enjoyed my extra day! It's nice just to relax and get back to our regular routine after the holidays. I'm trying to be more active and eat better, too. So far, so good. I'm really hoping to continue, too. We have gotten all of the holiday treats out of the house, so I don't have them around tempting me. Sometimes I have pretty good willpower, but not so much around the holidays.

Since I'm trying to eat better, I have been trying to find some new recipes to try. My go-to website for WW-friendly recipes is Emily Bites. Since she just had her best of 2012 post up the other day, I decided to try one of the winners. Last night, we had the Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf Muffins. Yes, another "muffin" recipe. I've said before that I love how everything is portion controlled when you do the muffins. These actually came together pretty quickly and easily and were baking in no time. While they were in the oven, I went ahead and cooked up some spaghetti and extra sauce. I hope you enjoy them! Here's the recipe...

CHICKEN PARMESAN MEATLOAF MUFFINS
adapted from Emily Bites
Servings: 6
Points+: 7


1 ½ lbs raw ground chicken breast
1 large egg
1 egg whites
6 T dried breadcrumbs
¾ t dried basil
¾ t dried thyme
¾ t oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ a small onion, chopped small or grated
¾ t salt
1/3 t black pepper
¾ cup Parmesan cheese
¾ cup pasta sauce
¾ cup 2% reduced fat shredded Mozzarella cheese


Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, egg whites, breadcrumbs, basil, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese and lightly mix together. Do not overmix the meat.

Form the meat mixture evenly into the 12 cups of your prepared muffin tin. Spread the pasta sauce evenly over the tops of each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven. Top each muffin with about a tablespoon of shredded cheese and then return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted.

I served ours with some spaghetti on the side. A complete meal in no time!


EXERCISE:
I have actually worked out two nights in a row now. Since I'm pregnant, it's definitely not the intensity that I was doing before, but it's still burning some calories. Every little bit helps, right? Last night, I did Biggest Loser's Last Chance workout. I had to modify it a good bit, and also pause it a couple of times to let my heartrate come down to where it needed to be, but it was a really good workout. Definitely had a pretty good calorie burn!! I hope to go for a walk today to enjoy the day, too.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment