Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cinnamon Almond Granola

Hey everyone! First, I want to thank all of you for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog. I hope you're enjoying it and please let me know if you ever have any suggestions.

Today marked the 5 year anniversary of our wedding. 5 years ago today, all of our family and friends gathered together to help us celebrate this wonderful day. Here are a couple of pictures from that day...












So I've been wanting to try a granola recipe. I trying very hard to be more mindful of the foods that I'm putting into my body. I'm trying to cut back on the amount of processed foods that I consume. I know there are a variety of different granolas out there, but I din't like all of the additives that are often found in them. So I looked through a bunch of different blogs and came upon one that sounded good to me. I made this granola this morning and added it to my blueberry and yogurt parfait this morning. This was really good! I'm so glad I made it and plan to make many more in the future. Here's the recipe:


CINNAMON ALMOND GRANOLA
adapted from Lauren's Latest
Servings: 20
Points+: 3


2 c. quick cooking oats
2 1/2 c. multigrain hot cereal
1/2 c. sliced toasted almonds
1 c. unsweetened coconut
1/4 c. light butter
1/3. c. light maple syrup
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats and multigrain cereal with the almonds and coconut. Stir until well blended and set aside.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in maple syrup and cinnamon. Microwave mixture another 30 seconds or so to be sure all the butter is melted and incorporated with the maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir in vanilla.

Pour the mixture over bowl of cereals and nuts. Stir stir well to coat the cereals and spread out on a large cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.


EXERCISE
While I'm still working on my plank hold every day, I'm also keeping up with the structured workouts. Last night, I did Level 1 of Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. Today, I was very happy to get in a 3.5 mile run. The weather was absolutely beautiful with very little humidity. It was a great day for a run! My pace was a little bit slower than it has been, but I was still pretty happy with the run. My HRM said I burned 491 calories. And THAT, I'm VERY happy with!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment