Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Queso Chicken Pasta


Did it rain today where you were? Boy did it ever rain here! Thunder and lightning, the whole nine yards! I think it might still be raining now...But I'm glad. It's nice of Mother Nature to take care of watering my garden for me today. It wasn't looking so hot after a week without any rain or watering, so I'm really hoping the natural rain water will give it a boost. If not, I might have to do something drastic, although I'm not sure what that would have to be, so I guess it's just better if it doesn't come to that!

Dinner tonight was a recipe that I've had pinned for a while now. I also have it on my "To Blog" list. I'm glad I finally got the chance to make it because it was pretty good! TC made a few comments about it, too. So he's either realizing how much I appreciate the positive comments about the new foods that I'm making, or he really did like it. Either one would be good for me. Here's the recipe:

QUESO CHICKEN PASTA
adapted from Evil Shenanigans
Servings: 6
Points+: 9


8 oz pasta, I used rotini
1 c. onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced - I didn't use this
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. coriander - I didn't use this either
1 T. flour
1 1/3 c. milk, 2% or higher
1 t. salt
3 T. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
6 oz. 2% colby-jack cheese, divided
1/2 c. diced tomatoes with chiles, drained
2 c. cooked chicken, shredded

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions, but reduce the cooking time by two minutes.

Heat a medium skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Once heated, add the onion, garlic and peppers, if using. Cook until all the vegetable are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander (if usiing) and salt and cook for an additional two minutes, or until you can really smell the spices.

Add the flour and cook for three minutes, stirring constantly, until all the flour has been incorporated into the mixture. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to thicken.

Turn off the heat and add the cream cheese and 4 oz. of the shredded cheese and whisk until melted. Stir in the diced tomatoes.

Pour the pasta into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Stir in the shredded chicken and sauce. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the pasta is bubbly and the cheese has melted. Let stand five minutes before serving.

Enjoy!


EXERCISE
I'm keeping up with my structured workouts still. I did JM Ripped in 30 - Level 1 tonight. I have to admit that I was pretty sore today after getting back into my strength training again. It's so sad that it doesn't take much time for the body to atrophy a little bit. I guess I should have been doing some pushups or something while I was gone, but that didn't even cross my mind. I guess you live and you learn!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment