Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mini Chicken Pot Pies


Today was an absolutely gorgeous day. The sun was shining bright in the sky all day and it wasn't too hot, but was still warm. The humidty was almost non-exsistent, too. All and all, it was really a perfect weather day. I will take more please! I had a pretty busy day again today. Luckily, I had a meeting in Charleston that I had to go to and I didn't end up being cooped up in the office all day. The last time I went to one of these meetings, they had an amazing spread for breakfast. They had breakfast wraps with different kinds of fillings, scones, cinnamon rolls and fruit cups. As good as everything was last time, I went in today telling myself that I would have some fruit and stop after that. So I went into the meeting. I found my seat and then approached the breakfast table. I had already eaten my blueberry greek yogurt parfait on the way down, so I definitely didn't need any breakfast. I had put a banana in my purse and had my new Tervis water bottle filled with fruit water and my chai tea latte. I was totally prepared. So how did I do? By the time the meeting was over, in addition to the breakfast I had eaten on the way, I had also eaten my banana and one fruit cup. I had finished my latte and I was almost done with my bottle of water. SUCCESS! Pretty proud of myself for today. Those wraps looked so good. Plus, everyone was talking about how delicious the cinnamon rolls were. But my willpower was strong today! Today was a major non-scale victory!

Dinner tonight was Mini Chicken Pot Pies. They were pretty good. I'm really liking the muffin recipes that I have found for dinners. I love how they are the perfect portions so you don't have to worry about eating too much. I made some mac and cheese for TC and Addison and re-heated some green beans for myself. Yum! While I was typing this recipe up for my post, I realized that I didn't add the cheese to it. I had done most of the prep last night and finished it when I came home from work and just forgot to add the cheese in. They were good tonight, but I'm sure the cheese would have added a little something extra to it. I also think a sauce would make these a lot better too. Nothing complicated, but something a little creamy. Here's the recipe:

MINI CHICKEN POT PIES
adapted from Betty Crocker
Servings: 6
Points+: 6


Chicken Mixture:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bit sized pieces
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chicken broth
1 c. frozen peas & carrots
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. parsley
1 c. 2% milk shredded cheddar cheese

Baking Mixture:
1/2 c. Bisquick Heart Smart Baking Mix
1/2 c. Egg Beaters
1/2 c. 2% milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In medium skillet sprayed with cooking spray, add onion and chicken broth. Heat until simmering. Add chicken, vegetables, salt, pepper & parsley. Heat until hot, stirring occasionally until almost all liquid is absorbed. Cool 5 minutes, then stir in cheese.

In medium bowl, combine baking mixture ingredients and stir until well combined. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with 1/4 c. chicken mixture. Spoon another tablespoon of the baking mixture over top of each cup of chicken mixture.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!


EXERCISE
So last night, I started a "Plank Proof" challenge. Another blogger is challenging others to see how long the can hold a plank position and progress to longer holds. I'm all about strengthening my core, so I'm on this challenge like white on rice! I started last night with a time of 2 minutes 08 seconds. I will post my results every week for you. I can't wait to see how I improve over time! Tonight, in addition to working on my plank hold, I'm doing some yoga. I haven't decided yet if I'm doing BL or JM yet, but I'm looking forward to the stretch. That is for sure!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment