Monday, May 7, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash


Whew! First day back to work after vacation. I'm so glad that today is over with! Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful to have a job, but I'm trying to figure out a way that I can have an early retirement. Say, 21 years early! I'll let you know what I come up with. It's going to be a busy week again. I have a couple of meetings I have to go to, plus I'm working this Friday. Let's just say, I will be glad when this whole week is over with!

So I was going to make a butternt squash orzo side dish to go with a recent dinner. I even roasted the onions and garlic along with the squash. You see, I had bought this butternut squash a while back and it's been sitting on my counter staring at me ever since. I've tried the whole butter nut squash fries. But those just ended up a mushy mess in the trash. So when I took this out of the oven, I was totally prepared to put everything in the blender with some chicken stock and add it to some cooked orzo pasta. Instead, I decided to try the roasted squash to see how it tasted by itself. Let me tell you, it was pretty good. So I decided to just have the roasted squash as a side by itself. Here's the recipe:

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Servings: 2
Points+: 0


1 whole butternut squash
olive oil spray
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and membrane. Place on baking sheet cut side up. Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 425 for 45 minutes.


EXERCISE:
So I'm proud to report that I exercised everday while on the cruise. I ran 2 days, did yoga 2 days, did the elliptical one day and took a spinning class one day. Even though I kept my body moving, my muscles just haven't felt right. Even after I did Yoga Meltdown last night, they still didn't feel right. So tonight, I did the Last Chance Workout DVD from the Biggest Loser. It wasn't extremely hard, but I did manage to burn 350 calories in 30 minutes. What is even more important to me, is that my muscles feel so good right now. I guess they just needed some strength work beyond the yoga. I might see how I feel tomorrow and do even more strength. We'll have to wait and see.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment