Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Curd


Happy Mother's Day! I hope all mother's, past, present and future and biological or otherwise had a very happy Mother's Day! I certainly did. But my family makes it easy for me to enjoy this day! Even though it rained a little bit, we still had a good time.

So for some reason, I decided that I wanted to make some type of curd. I've never made one before. Actually, I don't even know if I've ever eaten one before. But for some reason, last week, I decided that I wanted to make one. My mind kept going to blueberry, so yesterday, when we were at Sam's I picked up some blueberries to experiment with. I looked around on the internet for some different recipes and found one that sounded pretty good. Now I should also tell you that I think lemons and blueberries are the perfect pair. Because of this, I decided to add some lemon juice and zest to the blueberry curd. The result was absolutely delicious! I had to fight myself from eating this by the spoonful! It was such a pretty color, too! I promise to find something wonderful to use this for and post about it later this week. Here's the recipe:

LEMON BLUEBERRY CURD
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
Servings: 10
Points+: 2


2 c. fresh blueberries
1 T. water
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsalted butter

Combine blueberries, water, lemon juice and lemon zest in small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Bring to simmer and allow to boil for about 10 minutes, or until all blueberries have released their juices, stirring fequently to mash up the berries some. Remove from heat.

Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Reserve the juice and throw away the berry skins.

In a double boiler whisk together the eggs, sugar and blueberry juice together constantly. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, allowing each spoonful to melt before adding another.

After all the butter has been added and melted, allow the curd to cook for a few minutes until it starts to thicken enough so that it coats the back of a sppon. Remove the curd from the heat and pour it into a heatproof jar or other container.

This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.


EXERCISE
Well, I wanted to run again today, but Mother Nature had other plans for me. Can you believe that? On Mother's Day! I thought it was pretty mean of her to do that, but I can't exactly argue with her. So instead I laid down with Addison while she napped for a little bit. I decided that since it was Mother's Day, I should relish every minute! So I did get to do my Yoga Meltdown tonight. I didn't do it since last Sunday. I did the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga video on Thursday. It felt like it had been much longer than a week since I did Jillian's yoga video. It felt really good. I'm thinking I might go back to her yoga twice a week instead of switching it up. We'll see.

So long for today...

2 comments:

  1. OMG! This looks amazing, I am so impressed! I love cooking but have never tried this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good. Surprisingly easy, too!

    ReplyDelete