Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Slow Cooker Ham & Bean Soup


Alright. So today was a better day than yesterday. I was pretty busy today, so that really helped it to go by quicker. I'm hoping the rest of my week goes by just as quickly as the last two have. I think Addison is finally getting over all of the celebrating for her birthday. She was a little sad today when I told her that she wouldn't have another one for almost a year. The next trip we're planning right now is another one to Pennsylvania over Memorial Day weekend. We still have to figure out a lot of the details for it, but the big things are figured out.

For dinner tonight, I made a variation on Ham & Bean Soup. This is a meal that we ate a good bit growing up. My mom always kept it simple by only adding ham and beans. I decided to try a something a bit different and tried to add some different flavors. It was pretty good. TC even went back for seconds. That tells me that he definitely liked it. Here's the recipe:

SLOW COOKER HAM & BEAN SOUP
Servings: 6
Points+: 6


2 15-oz. cans Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb. ham steak, cubed
1/2 large onion, diced
1 spine celery, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
3 c. water
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients and cook in slow cooker on low for 4 - 6 hours. If you prefer, you can blend one can of the beans before cooking in order to make the soup a little bit creamier. I also like to add a little bit of horseradish to mine for a little extra kick when I eat it. But it's what ever you prefer.


EXERCISE:
So I'm still trying to find my rhythm with my working out. For some reason, it got pretty out of whack while I was gone. I'm not really sure how since I still worked out every day. I'm blaming it on the lack of strength worktouts, but who really knows why. I've decided that I need to get the rhythm back and to do this, I'm going to stay pretty structured with my workouts for a little while. I'm going back to my roots and sticking with Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 DVD. I will also run on the weekends and include a couple of days of Yoga. But mainly, I will be doing her circuit training during the week. I'm planning to do it like she recommends with one differnt workout per week and progress each week. Hopefully this will help me to get back into the swing of things.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment