Thursday, May 24, 2012

Healthy Peanut Butter Balls


Well, we are headed to Pennsylvania this afternoon! Yay! Last night was just a whirlwind of activity. I think I might have gotten maybe three hours of sleep total the whole night. My mom always says that I go to bed to think and that's just what I did last night. Since we're going to be so rushed for time today, I wanted to have everything ready to throw into the truck as soon as we get home from work. So that meant that I had to have everything ready and by the door this morning before we left. I think we have everything, but that didn't keep me from trying to remember everything we're forgetting all night! Good thing I have a nice long car ride to catch up on the sleep I've missed the last 2 nights!

Does anyone else think these look like meatballs? I promise, they're not! I saw this recipe last week on Living, Laughing, Losing and I thought they would be the perfect snack to help give us the energy we need to make the long trip to PA. I snuck a taste last night and they are pretty good. I love that they're all natural. I'm trying not to have caffeine anymore which won't be good news about one o'clock tomorrow morning when we're still on the road. I'm hoping that these do the trick! Here's the recipe:

HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BALLS
Adapted from Alida’s Kitchen

Servings: 16
Points+: 4


1 cup peanut butter,(chunky or creamy)
2 tablespoons honey (or agave nectar)
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or wheat germ
2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
cocoa powder, wheat germ, powdered sugar, chopped peanuts – for coating

Heat peanut butter and honey in the microwave until easily mixed, about 15-20 seconds. Stir until blended.

In a separate bowl, mix oats, flaxseed and coconut (if using) until combined.

Add peanut butter mixture to oat mixture and stir until incorporated. (Mixture may seem a little dry at first…just keep mixing).

Form a rounded tablespoonful of the combined mixture into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until all mixture is used. Now, if you do not want to coat the balls, skip to the last step.

Roll each ball in whatever coating suits your preference. Cocoa powder, powdered sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon sugar and chopped peanuts are some ideas. I rolled mine in No Sugar Added Hot Cocoa. They turned out great!

Chill the plate of balls in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour, or overnight.


EXERCISE
Unfortunately, I'm not going to have a chance to work out today. I have a lunch meeting that I have to drive to that's an hour away, then I'm headed straight home from there to head to PA. I did get a great work out in last night doing Jillian's Ripped in 30 - Level 2. I decided that since I'm going to be taking a few days off from Jillian's workouts, instead of starting Level 3 last night, I would do Level 2 one more time and pick up with Level 3 after we get back from our trip.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment