Thursday, May 24, 2012

Carrot Cake


Greetings from Pennsylvania! As usual, we're keeping busy up here. After the long drive up, we just wanted to relax our first day here. My sister and her family will be coming in tomorrow morning and my brother-in-law's parents will be coming in later tonight. We're going to have a ton of stuff going on, so I guess you could say this is the calm before the storm! Ha!

First off, let me put a disclaimer on here saying that I don't consider this dessert to be WW-friendly in any way. Now, let me ask you, how good does this cake look? Let me tell you, as good as it looks, that's exactly how good it tasted, too! Since it was a Paula Deen recipe, I didn't think it would disappoint and it didn't! I made this for a co-worker's birthday party last week. Everyone loved it and luckily, they ate every crumb so I didn't have to take any home with me. It works out better for me not to have leftovers of stuff like this, then I won't be tempted to eat it! This is definitely a splurge that I won't be making very often, even though it's absolutely delicious! Here's the recipe:

CARROT CAKE
adapted from The Lady & Son's Cookbook
Servings: 12
Points+: 22


Butter, for pans
2 c. all purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 c. sugar
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 c. grated carrots
1 1/2 c. chopped pecans, optional

Frosting:
2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick salted butter, room temperature
1 (16-oz.) box powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round pans; Line bottom of the pans with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add eggs and vegetable oil. Using a hand mixer, blend until combined. Add carrots and pecans, if using.

Pour into pans. Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, place on waxed paper and allow to cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting:

Add all ingredients, except nuts, into a medium bowl and beat until fluffy using a hand mixer. Stir in the nuts. Spread frosting on top of each cake layer. Stack the cakes on a serving plate and serve.


EXERCISE
Lucikly, my parent's place is in a more rural area. Since it is Pennsylvania, there are many hills out this way. When I went for my run today, it challenged my body in a way that it's not used to. I have to admit that even though it was tough coming up that last hill, I loved my run today. The weather was beautiful and the humidity was low. Those are some great running conditions!

So long for today...

2 comments: