Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cinnamon Toast Cloud Cakes


I've been very busy today making all kinds of goodies to share with you throughout the week and next weekend while I'm away. I'm trying to include all kinds of different things that I think you'll like! We'll see what you think!

Sometimes, on the weekends, I like to do something different for breakfast. This was one of those weekends. I had seen this recipe a while back and was still wanting to try it out. I told you before that I am a huge fan of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. So when I find a recipe that has cinnamon toast in the title, sign me up! Luckily, hubby is also a fan of the cereal, so he doesn't mind. These were so good! You can serve them with any topping you want to. We did powdered sugar and light maple syrup. But you can add butter or you can also make a cinnamon syrup if you're feeling adventurous! Here's the recipe:

CINNAMON TOAST CLOUD CAKES
adapted from Tracey's Culinary Adventures
Servings: 8
Points+: 4


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
2 extra egg whites, at room temperature
2 tablespoons light butter, melted and cooled

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. Add the buttermilk and sour cream to a large measuring cup and whisk to combine. Whisk the egg yolks and melted butter into the buttermilk mixture until well combined.

Add the egg whites to a medium bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat them to soft peaks. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the dry ingredients. Whisk until just barely combined - the batter should be lumpy. Use a rubber spatula to fold the egg whites into the batter, again until just barely combined. It's fine if a few streaks of egg white remain.

Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Use a 1/8 cup measure (2 tablespoons) to portion the batter into the pan. Cook on the first side until the edges are set and bubbles form on the surface, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the second side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying with additional cooking spray if needed.


EXERCISE:
It was another beautiful day today so I went for another run. Unfortunately, it was another shorter one since I had things I needed to do. I'm glad I did get one in though! My HRM said I burned over 500 calories. That right there is why I run! Of course, since it's Sunday, I'm planning to do my Yoga Meltdown tonight with Jillian. I've always had trouble falling asleep Sunday nights. I've found that, most of the time, doing yoga Sunday nights helps me to wind down and fall asleep easier. As long as it's working, I'm going to keep it up!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment