Monday, March 5, 2012

Balsamic Glazed London Broil


I'm feeling a little frustrated today. I tried really hard to stay on plan over the weekend. Granted, I did have a couple of splurges here and there, but I still have plenty of weekly points to use and the scale was up a bit today. My official weigh-in day is tomorrow and I'm drinking so much water, I think there might be a shortage after today. I'm planning to do JM Ripped in 30 - Level 4 tonight, hopefully that will make the scale happy. We'll just have to wait and see.

I was going to have Cheesy Taco Pasta tonight, but thought maybe I should have something a little bit lighter. So we had balsamic glazed london broil with brown rice and green beans. Everyone enjoyed it. I had seen an episode of Paula's Best Dishes over the weekend and this looked really good. I've never cooked my london broil under the broiler, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but I followed the recipe exactly. I even kept the door open. This really helped me to keep a better eye on it, too. I'm happy to report that it turned out beautifully! Here's the recipe:

BALSAMIC GLAZED LONDON BROIL
adapted from Paula Deen
Servings: 8
Points+: 7


3 lb. london broil
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1 T. packed brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf

Preheat the broiler and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.

Season the meat with the salt and pepper. In a large skillet over low heat, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and bay leaf. Simmer until the liquid has reduced by half and is a syrupy consistency, about 5 minutes. Discard the garlic and bay leaf.

Put the meat on the baking sheet and slather it with the glaze. Broil the meat 4 inches from the heat until it reaches the desired level of doneness, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from the broiler to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the meat against the grain and transfer it to a serving platter.


So I guess the Cheesy Taco Pasta will get pushed to tomorrow night and the burgers will be served on Wednesday. I hope I can wait that long! For anyone who's keeping track, we haven't had grilled burgers on the grill for over 2 weeks! I think that might be a record!

So long for today...


No comments:

Post a Comment