Friday, March 9, 2012

Lasagna


Sometimes, I don't make the best decisions. Take today for example. I not only made a batch of Alabama Firecrackers, but I also made a batch of Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies. Even now, after I have put everything in a sealed container, I can still hear them calling to me from the kitchen, begging me to try just one bite. I've been pretty strong so far and I hope I stay this way. I made these to share with my co-workers tomorrow at the Oyster Festival that my company plays host to. It usually draws a pretty good crowd and everyone has a good time. I have to work this year, as every other year, but since I'm going to be working the t-shirt table, I should be able to still have time to step away and socialize.

One of the ways to stay successful with Weight Watchers is to plan ahead. Tomorrow is a great example. I don't like oysters, and the other food that will be available to me isn't healthy either. There is usually a tent set up selling hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries. Nothing that is WW friendly. So I will be taking my own lunch with me tomorrow. I'm planning to take a ham & cheese wrap with some fruit, carrot sticks and some Special K Cracker Chips. I'm also going to take a couple of bottles of water in order to make my 6 - 8 glasses of water recommendation for the day. When you know that you're going to be in a situation where you're not going to have a lot of healthy options available, it's a good idea to take something with you that you already know the points value of and will be able to enjoy without feeling guilty.

We had lasagna for dinner tonight. This was the first time that I made this variation. It was pretty good, but the next time I make it, I will make some tweaks to it to make it a little better. Here's the recipe:

LASAGNA
adapted from Emily Bites
Servings: 9
Points+: 9


1 lb. extra lean ground beef
3/4 lb. italian turkey sausage
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
26 oz. spaghetti sauce
8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
1 c. 2% cottage cheese
6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
1 c. part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 t. italian seasoning, divided
1/4 c. reduced fat parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown ground beef and turkey sausage. Add pepper, onion and garlic and cook until veggies are tender. Set aside 1 c. spaghetti sauce and add remaining spaghetti sauce to meat and veggie mixture. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8 - 10 minutes.

In a small saucepan, melt cream cheese over medium heat. Remove from heat and add cottage cheese.

Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 of meat mixture in bottom of dish. Top meat layer with 3 lasagna noodles, followed by 1/2 of cream cheese mixture and 1 1/2 t. italian seasoning. Repeat meat, noodle and cream cheese layers. Cover with reserved spaghetti sauce. Top this with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.

Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.


EXERCISE
So I'm happy to report that the scale was down a little bit this morning. I'm hoping that I can keep this trend throughout the weekend. Tonight, I changed up my workout again and did JM No More Trouble Zones. This is a pretty difficult video to do for me, especially because it's 50 minutes long. I gave it my all for as long as I could and made sure to have a good cool down. I'm still feeling the workout in my shoulders.

I'm hoping to get in a morning run before I have to go to the Oyster Festival. Tomorrow is usually a pretty tiring day and I want to get my workout in before I leave so I don't have to worry about trying to do it after working the festival all day. Keep your fingers crossed...

So long for now...


No comments:

Post a Comment