Friday, March 16, 2012

Skinny Shamrock Shake


Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Living in Pennsylvania, I grew up drinking Shamrock Shakes from McDonald's every year around St. Patrick's Day. When I moved to South Carolina, I was very disappointed to learn that the employees at all of the local McDonald's had no idea what a Shamrock Shake was. Fast forward to this past February when I walk into McDonald's and see that they now have these delicious milkshakes. I was so excited! I ordered a medium knowing that Addison would want to share it with me. Later in the day, when I was entering my points into my tracker, I was horrified when I discovered that a medium Shamrock Shake contains 18 Points+. Are you kidding me? It really irritates me that restaurants are allowed to market and sell food that is so nutritionally bad. Is there really nothing that can be done to improve on these foods? I realize that it is my choice to frequent these types of restaurants, but it would just be nice if there were healthier options besides salad to choose from. Thank goodness for Chick-Fil-A.

It was on that day, that I sadly realized that I would not be having another Shamrock Shake from McDonald's this year. I vowed to my sister that I would still have a Shamrock Shake, but a much healthier version that I would make myself. That's what I did tonight and will do tomorrow night knowing that I'm saving a whopping 13 Points on this homemade version. Here's the recipe:

SKINNY SHAMROCK SHAKE
Servings: 1
Points+: 5


1 T. sugar free vanilla powder creamer
1 T. hot water
1/2 c. FF Breyers ice cream
3/4 c. light vanilla soy milk
1 packet Splenda
1/8 t. mint extract
5 drops green food coloring
1 1/2 c. crushed ice

Combine creamer and hot water together and stir until creamer is dissolved. Add this to the blender along with remaining ingredients. Blend until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Pour into tall glass and top with FF whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!


EXCERCISE
So I was feeling pretty frustrated after work today. After venting to my mom about things, I decided to take her advice and go for a walk. It was such a beautiful day, so I decided, why not? I put Addison in the jogging stroller and away we went. I'm so glad I did it! My mom always has great advice! By the end of the walk, I was feeling so much better! We got back just in time. A storm hit shortly after we got back. I also did some yoga tonight to get a little bonus exercise. Nothing major, just some Denise Austin to help stretch the muscles.

Well, the corned beef brisket is in the slow cooker already. Can't wait to see how wonderful the house smells in the morning. This is the first time I've ever made my corned beef and cabbage with corned beef brisket. I usually use the canned variety, but thought I would try something new this year. Can't wait to report the results!

So long for today!





No comments:

Post a Comment