Sunday, March 18, 2012

Low Fat Coleslaw


Sometimes, it can be hard to stick to your diet when you're invited to social events. Today, we were invited over to my inlaws house to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday. Since the weather has been so nice, they decided to have a cookout. Unfortunately, it started raining just when everyone was arriving, but we didn't let it ruin the party. We simply moved the festivities inside after all of the food was cooked. The menu included hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, fruit salad and chocolate caramel brownie sundaes. I'm lucky enough that they are very supportive of my weight loss efforts. They don't give me dirty looks when I bring my own hamburger and bun as well as a side or two to enjoy instead of the potato salad and brownie sundaes. (I did try the chocolate caramel brownies and the were delicious!!) That's the same tips I gave last week for the oyster festival. When you know you're going to be in an eating environment with foods that aren't WW-friendly, take some of your own to enjoy that is WW-friendly. The host will probably be thankful you brought something to share! So today, I took baked beans and low fat coleslaw. The beans weren't exactly WW-friendly, so I didn't have a lot of those. The coleslaw was something that I thought and mixed up this afternoon. I have to say, that it was pretty good, too! Here's the recipe:

LOW FAT COLESLAW
Servings: 2
Points+: 1


2 c. shredded or chopped cabbage
2 T. onion, chopped
1/2 rib celery, chopped
1 small carrot, shredded
2 T. Miracle Whip Light
1 T. plain, fat free greek yogurt
1/2 t. Splenda
1/3 t. apple cider vinegar
1 T. skim milk
pinch of salt 1/2 pinch of pepper

Combine all ingredients together. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow flavors to combine. Enjoy!


EXERCISE
It was yet another beautiful day here and I got in a 3 mile run today. Felt really good! Still trying to figure out how much I will try to increase my distance before the 10k on the 31st. I'm really not sure if I even will increase it any more.

I also got in some yoga this evening. I love doing yoga on Sunday evening. It really helps me to wind down from the busy weekend and try to relax before the work week. Lots of things going through my head tonight! Thank goodness it's only a 4 day week!

So long for today...


No comments:

Post a Comment