Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pasta Fajioli


Two posts in one day! How about that? Are you keeping up with me on twitter (@southliveyankee) and Facebook? I'm trying my best to be more active on those two outlets to keep you better informed of what I'm doing day to day. If you haven't already found me on one of those, what are you waiting for?

We love Olive Garden. Since TC is a "meatatarian" he doesn't get the salad with his dinner. Instead, he choses the pasta fajioli soup. Sometimes, he can't remember the name of it, but he knows what he wants. This is a recipe that I've had for a while now. I actually have a couple of different recipes for this delicious soup and decided to go with this one. The origial called for beef, but I had some ground turkey in the fridge and decided to give it a try. TC and Addison both loved it! Here's the recipe:

PASTA FAJIOLI
adapted from Wholesome Mommy
Servings: 10
Points+: 9


1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 large)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups Ditalini pasta, cooked
2 cans (14.5) organic beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes, unstrained
28 oz. of light spaghetti sauce
1 (16 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained well
1 can navy beans or cannellini beans, drained well
1 tsp garlic powder

Saute ground turkey, onions, carrots and celery in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until browned and veggies are soft.

Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on the package, in a separate pot. Cook the pasta until just underdone, so that it won’t get mushy when you add it to the soup.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the pasta. Serve! I also sprinkled some reduced fat parmesan cheese over the top just before it was served.


EXERCISE
I know that I'm supposed to take days of rest. But sometimes, that's hard for me when I'm doing everything that I can to reach my goal. Tonight, the three of us went for a bike ride. I wore my heart rate monitor and clocked us to make sure I knew how many activity points I could count this ride as, and that is going to be all I do for today. So, in my mind I'm "resting" today. That works, right?

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment