Friday, April 20, 2012

Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes


Happy National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day!

Today was the first Friday that I had to work in over a month! I hated going to work this morning. But eventually, I did make it. I even managed to get some work done and some leases written! While I was at work, I found out that it was National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day. Who knew? When I found out, I knew that I needed to celebrate this holiday properly!

My neighbor's favorite cake is Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. I knew that if I was successful at making these cupcakes I would definitely share them with her. During lunch, I went to the grocery store to pick up everything that I needed for these cupcakes. After I got home, I started making them and we were able to enjoy them with a little bit of fat free frozen yogurt after dinner. Oh my mother of pearl were they good! It's a good thing I have other people I want to share these with, because otherwise, I think I might have eaten all of them myself! These will definitely be made in this house again! Here's the recipe:

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CUPCAKES
adapted from http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/just-desserts-upside-down-pineapple-applesauce-cake-recipe
Servings: 12
Points+: 3


Candy:
1 T. light butter
1/4 c. brown sugar (not packed)

Cake:
1 box Duncan Hines yellow cupcake mix
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 c. club soda
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
12 marachino cherries
pineapple tidbits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray (butter flavored, if available)

Cook butter in microwave and cook until melted, about 15 - 20 seconds. Add brown sugar and stir until well combined. Set aside.

In medium mixing bowl, combine cake mix with baking powder and stir unti lmixed wel. Add club soda and applesauce and stir until smooth.

Evenly distribute candy topping among cupcake pan. Place cherry inthe center of each cupcake mold. Surround cherry with pineapple tidbits. Evenly pour cake mix into each cupcake mold over fruit.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 16 minutes or until cake is golden brown.

Allow cakes to cool for 15 - 20 minutes before removing from pan. Invert cupcake pan on large plate or cooling rack and gently lift cupcake pan off.


EXERCISE
Last night, I started Bob Harper's Super Strength workout video. Let me tell you, he means business with that thing! Even the people in the video seem like its hard for them! They may just be acting, but I can definitely sympathize with them. Well, I only got halfway through the video last night. So I'm planning to do the whole thing -all 66 minutes- tonight. No excuses, right?

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment