Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cheesy Pastitsio


The last week straight has been pretty icky weather.  It started by being rainy for a few days, then after that, it decided to drop almost 20 degrees and be rainy.  Then it decided to stay cool but get a little sunny.  Today, after all that, the weather is finally turning around!  It's supposed to be 80 today and 90 tomorrow.  Plus, I got to see some blue sky and the sun today.  Things are definitely turning around.  My moods depend a lot on the weather.  If the weather is dreary, I'm going to be dreary, too.  I swear that I get my energy from the Sun.  We've got some kind of deep connection.  I'm not sure how it developed, but it's definitely there.  The only thing that was keeping me out of a slump the last few days was looking forward to our cruise!  Yay!  One of our fellow cruisers flew in last night from Birmingham Alabama.  PeeWee has gone on quite a few cruises with us.  We've pretty much adopted him into the family.  He is a high school classmate of my dad's and he fits in quite well!

Since this dish ended up being so HUGE, I invited my parents and PeeWee to come over for dinner tonight.  This was a new recipe that looked so yummy!  I got it from one of my favorite blogs by one of the sweetest gals ever.  If you haven't met Kelly from Eat Yourself Skinny, you should definitely check out her site.  Here's the recipe:

CHEESY PASTITSIO
adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny
Servings: 6
Points+: 8


8 oz. uncooked Dreamfields rotini pasta Cooking spray
1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
1 medium onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. McCormick's Salt Free Herb & Garlic Seasoning
3/4 tsp. salt
2 cups fat-free milk
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
6 oz fat-free cream cheese
3/4 cup (3 oz) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Preheat broiler.

Cook pasta as directed on package. Meanwhile,over medium-high heat, heat a large skillet that has been sprayed with non=stick cooking spray. Add turkey and cook until browned, breaking up as it cooks. Add onion, garlic, seasoning and salt and cook until onion is tender. Stir in milk, tomatoes and cream cheese, and stir until smooth and cream cheese is melted. Bring to a simmer and cook about 2 minutes. Add pasta and stir until well coated with sauce.

Pour pasta and meat mixture into a broiler safe 9 x 13 inch pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over top. Place and broiler and cook about 4 minutes or until cheese on top is golden brown. Sprinkle parsley over top.

I also added about 1/4 c. of reduced fat Parmesan cheese to the top of this for a little more flavor, but if you do this, it will add one more point per serving.


EXERCISE
I really wanted to do Bob's Super Strength workout again tonight, but thought it would be better to take a night off from that workout.  So I decided to "take it easy" tonight and I did level 2 of Jillian's 6 Week 6 Pack. I'm hoping to do Bob's Super Strength workout again tomorrow night.  I'm still trying to concentrate on upping my strength workouts.  I want to tighten and firm and I've heard that this is the best natural way to do it!  Hope it works!

So long for today...

1 comment:

  1. I decided to try to find your blog and I did!
    I need to be with you 24/7, Deneene. I have been home all day long by myself and have done nothing but eat, eat eat. After I do it, I hate myself. Must be like how someone strung out on drugs feels.

    ReplyDelete