Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic & White Beans


Whew! What a day! I had an all day meeting in Myrtle Beach today. I guess you don't realize how conditioned you are to doing your job until you change things up and do something else for a day. I traveled almost 2 hours up there, sat in meetings all day, then traveled 2 hours back. Boy am I tired!

Dinner tonight was a recipe that I've had for years now. I don't remember where I got it. It's very simple and very good. The most time consuming part is roasting the garlic and tomatoes. Roasted garlic is so aromatic and sweet. It definitely adds something special to this dinner. Here's the recipe:

PENNE W/ ROASTED TOMATOES, GARLIC & WHITE BEANS
Servings: 4
Points+: 7


3 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1(15 ounce) can cannellini beans
1/2 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
1 T. olive oil

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Slice each tomato into 8 wedges and discard the seeds. Put the tomato wedges and garlic into a 9 by 13-inch roasting pan. Spray with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and a few turns of pepper. Roast in the oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes.

Drain the beans into a large colander in the sink. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain the pasta into the colander containing the beans, so the hot pasta water will warm the beans. Return drained pasta and beans to the pasta pot.

When the tomatoes are done, pick out the garlic cloves, squeeze the garlic out of the skin into a small bowl and mash with a fork. Pour the roasted tomatoes into the pasta pot, add the garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the basil and additional salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to combine. Serve topped with the Parmesan.


EXERCISE:
I decided to go back to the very beginning tonight. Because as Frauline says, it's a very good place to start! Ha! I did JM 30 Day Shred - Level 1 tonight. The only difference is that I upped my weights. Instead of the 3 lb dumbells that I usually use, I tried it with 5 lbs tonight. My arms got tired on a couple of the exercises, but I worked through it and finished with the 5 lbs. Give me a few days and I'm hoping that I won't get so tired! I'm so glad my workout is over for the evening! Now I can prep dinner and head to bed.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment