Monday, September 24, 2012

Homemade Fajita Seasoning


Earlier this year, I decided that I wanted to try to feed my family less processed foods. I understand that it would be very difficult for me to eliminate them altogether, but I try to use fresh foods when possible. You just never know what kinds of preservatives are going into those processed and packaged foods that you buy at the grocery store.

One way I've realized that I can reduce the processed foods (and save money at the same time) is to make my own seasoning for things like tacos and fajitas. I had made the taco seasoning before, but hadn't made the fajita seasoning, until yesterday. I was having high hopes and made a double batch. I'm glad I did a double batch because they turned out great! The fajitas were a little salty for my taste, but TC and Addison both loved them. I might add another batch to the container but not add the salt to tone it down a little bit. Here's the recipe:


HOMEMADE FAJITA SEASONING
adapted from Anne Jisca's Healthy Pursuits
Servings: 3 Store Bought Packages
Points+: 1

3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp chicken powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cumin

Mix all together. Store in air tight container. I used about 2 T. of this mix for 1.3 pounds of meat. Tune in later for my complete recipe for beef fajitas.


EXERCISE:
It's the night before my weigh-in, so I couldn't anything to strenous, but I still wanted to get some activitiy in tonight. I decided to do the 2 mile Walk Away the Pounds video that I have. I like that I get some cardio and some weights in at the same time, but I don't over do it.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment