Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Slow Cooker Red Beans & Rice


It's official! I have spring fever. It was 80 degrees here today! February 29th and it was 80 degrees. If I haven't mentioned it before, I love living in South Carolina. What's ironic is some of the women on my WW message boards are talking about all the snow they have. They can keep that! I know its supposed to cool down again this weekend, but I'm definitely going to enjoy the nice weather while I can. I'm so glad I have this Friday off work, too! Definitely a day for a run, if you ask me.

I know Mardi Gras was last week, so I'm a little late in making this meal. But it's better to be late than never, right? I guess I think of this more of a Southern meal than a Cajun meal. That's probably because I didn't add the cajun seasoning that they call for, but I don't even own cajun seasoning. Does Creole seasoning count? Is that the same thing? Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of spicy foods? Ha! Here's the recipe:

SLOW COOKER RED BEANS & RICE
adapted from Plain Chicken
Servings: 8
Points+ 6


1 pound dried small red beans
1 pound turkey smoked sausage
5 cups water
1 cup tomato sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve over hot white rice.


TC really liked this. That's probably because its a meal he's used to eating. Southerners love this. It's also called red beans & sausage or red rice and sausage. You can make a pretty healthy version of any of the variations, too. What made me feel even better was that Addison said she liked it, too! Bonus!

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment