Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fiesta Chowder


Today was such a busy day! We went shopping to catch some of the President's Day sales. Let me just say, we definitely helped the economy today! I had been planning to have my family and PA friends over for dinner tonight. I wanted to make Fiesta Chowder. Luckily, this soup comes together relatively quickly and we were still able to enjoy dinner before 7:00. This is a soup that we've enjoyed many times in the past

with our neighbors. Last week, I took the recipe and tried to figure out how to make it WW-friendly. I was actually surprised that it wasn't too bad already. I made one small change to the original recipe. We like to eat this with some fresh bread and Tostitoes Scoops. This is especially good on a cold winter day.


FIESTA CHOWDER
adapted from Southern Living
Servings: 8 - 10
Points+: 7

4 chicken breast halves
1 pkg. fajita seasoning
1 medium onion, chopped
1 t. garlic, minced
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
3 cups FF chicken broth
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
4 oz. 2% milk Velveeta

Toss chicken breast halves in half of fajita seasoning. Cook in skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray until cooked through. Shred chicken and add to large dutch oven with the rest of the ingredients, except Velveeta. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to boil for 5 minutes, then stir in Velveeta. Continue to cook until desired consistency.


I was really surprised when I first figured out the points in this soup. It is so creamy, I thought it had to be pretty high in points. Since it ended up being relatively low already, it wasn't hard to lighten it up. For tonight, I made 1 1/2 recipes and it was all eaten during dinner. So I would say that everyone else liked it too!


So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment