Saturday, February 11, 2012

Go Red Heart 5k

Today was my big day! I ran my first 5k. Even though it was on the chilly side, I still had such a good time!

After a restless night's sleep, I finally got up shortly after 6:00. I had the eggs and bread that I had brought with me. After we relaxed for a little while, I also ate a banana. We headed down to the pavilion around 8:15 to see what kind of action was going on down there.
After some introductions and some awards for the best red costume, we all lined up and stretched. After the gun went off, I hung towards the back so that I wouldn't get caught up in the crowd.
Unfortunately, this strategy didn't work as I had wanted it to because I spent the first couple of minutes winding my way through the walkers.
After I was through though, I was on my way. I didn't think the race would be hard since my runs are usually around 3 miles. But let me tell you, it was harder than I thought it would be! I don't know if it was the cold or the lack of sleep or the race environment, but I wasn't sure I was going to finish!! But as soon as I saw the first runner headed back my way, I knew I could do it! I stayed at the same pace until I could see the finish line.
After I finally saw that glorious sight, I high-tailed it over the finish line as fast as I could!
I crossed the finish line with just over 29:00 on the clock, so I'm guessing that I ran it in about 28:00. I keep checking the site, but they still haven't posted the results.

By the time the race was over, Addison had had enough and wanted to be anywhere but there!
After the top three for my age category were announced, we retreated back to the hotel to collect our things and headed home, where I decided to join Addison for her afternoon nap.

This was such a fun experience and I'm so glad I did it. I'm trying to figure out when I can do it again and still considering running the bridge run.

I will give you a sneak peak at the White Chocolate Almond cookies that I made this afternoon.

But that's the topic of another post.

So long for today...


No comments:

Post a Comment