Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole

TC is a self-proclaimed "meatatarian". He absolutely loves meat lover's pizza. I saw this recipe a few weeks back and thought it sounded pretty good. When I started following the recipe for it, I decided that it needed something. I decided that that something was some turkey pepperoni, which I just happened to have already cut up in the refrigerator. If you're going to do a pizza casserole, it definitely needs to have pepperoni! You could also add onion and green peppers to this, or any other vegetable you like on your pizza.

We've recently developed a new meal rating system at our house. When I make a new recipe, TC tells me how much he likes it by telling me how often he wants me to make it. If he really, really likes it, its a weekly meal. If he just really likes it, its a monthly meal. And so on and so on. He must have really, really, REALLY liked this one, because after dinner, he asked me how hard it was to make, because he thinks he might make it as a weekend lunch sometimes. Those are pretty high praises! Here's the recipe:


DEEP DISH PIZZA CASSEROLE
adapted from Emily Bites
Servings: 6
Points+:

1 lb. extra lean ground beef
14 oz. jar pizza sauce
oregano to taste
onion powder to taste
garlic powder to taste
3/4 c. turkey pepperoni, chopped into small pieces
1 10-oz. refrigerated pizza crust
4 oz. shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
4 oz. reduced fat cheddar cheese


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Cook meat (seasoned with oregano, onion powder and garlic powder to taste) in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring until it crumbles. Add pizza sauce and cook until heated.

While meat cooks, coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Unroll pizza crust dough and press into bottom and halfway up the sides of baking dish. Sprinkle half the cheese over the bottom of the crust. Top with meat mixture.

Bake uncovered in the oven at 425 for 12 minutes. Remove and top with remaining cheese. Put casserole back in the oven for 5 additional minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes before serving.


The rest of the week is going to be a busy one. Tomorrow evening, I have to make cupcakes for a friend of mine's birthday at work. Thursday evening, we are tied up all evening at a United Way soiree. I'm looking forward to this as its my first "soiree". Also, before we leave Friday after I get off work, I have to make brownies and alabama firecrackers. I also have to wrap the presents for Sydney and pack everything. I'm hoping to cut out of work a little early Friday so that I can get a run in before we leave...but I'm not sure if that will happen or not. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

So long for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment