Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole


So apparently, I've never had enchilada sauce. You can ask most anyone, and they'll tell you that I don't like a lot of spice in my food. My sister gets annoyed when I eat her lasagna because it's a litle too spicy for me. But I can't help it!! So today, I was just following the recipe for this casserole and added all the ingredients that it called for, plus a couple other ones. When I tried it, I made the realization about the enchilada sauce. It's still a very good casserole that I will probably make again, but I was just a little surprised at how spicy it was.

BUBBLE UP ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
slightly adapted from Emily Bites
Servings: 6
Points+: 9

1 1/4 lb. extra lean ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (7.5) can refrigerator biscuits, cut into quarters
1 c. 2% milk mexican cheese


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.

Brown turkey in large skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender.

Add the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and black beans and stir to combine. Stir the biscuit pieces into the meat mixtures.

Transfer the entire mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Like I said, I think I will definitely make this casserole again. I might add some corn to it next time. We'll see. When I am making a new recipe, I like to follow it pretty close before I start changing it up. It must be good the way it is though, since we were all members of the clean plate club. TC liked it. He told me for the third time as he was eating his second helping.

Now go make this casserole and laugh when you taste it because you don't think it's spicy. Go ahead, it's ok.


So long for today...

4 comments:

  1. I don't like spicy either. What could you use instead of enchilada sauce that would taste good but not be spicy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure taco sauce would work just as well as the enchilada sauce.

      Delete
  2. Mild enchilada sauce is not spicy. Old El Paso makes it in Mild, Medium, and Hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Amanda. I will have to see if I can find the mild.

      Delete