Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cajun Chicken Pasta


Yay! We officially made it to the weekend! My cousins came into town last night to spend the night on their way to Florida. We didn't have any definite plans when we woke up so we decided to make a trip to Trader Joe's today. Addison loves looking for TJ the turtle and gets so excited when she finds him. In the meantime, I picked up all kinds of new things to try. I can't wait to let you know what I think!

Dinner last night was a new recipe that I found on my favorite website, PINTEREST!! Seriously, if you haven't checked it out yet, you are missing out on some pretty fun stuff. This recipe looks and sounds good. It's from Gina at Skinnytaste. I love making recipes from websites that already have the points value calculated for me. It not only saves me time from having to put it into the recipe builder, but it also lets me know that I don't have to find any substitutions because they've already done that for me too! This was such a delicious dish. It takes a little while to get all of the veggies chopped up, but once that is done, you pretty much throw it together and eat it! Here's the recipe:

CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA
adapted from SkinnyTaste
Servings: 5
Points+: 8


8 ounces uncooked linguine
1 pound chicken breast strips
1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tbsp flour
3 tbsp light cream cheese
fresh cracked pepper
2 scallions, chopped
salt to taste
non-stick cooking spray

Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.

Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.

Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.

Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.

Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.

Return chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!


EXERCISE:
I was pretty busy after I got home from work last night trying to do some last minute tidying and cooking and I really wanted to get a quick workout in. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way, so it ended up being a rest day. But that's ok, because it's been a while since I had one. My body needed it, too!

So long for today...

2 comments:

  1. You know your recipes have been pinned on Pinterest quite a bit, do you know how to see your pins? This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize that. I don't think I do know how to see them. It would be fun to though!

      Delete