Saturday, August 4, 2012

Mexican Turkey Burgers

I hope you're all having a great weekend. Today was another busy day for us. We were on the go most of the day. Hopefully, tomorrow will be more relaxed for us. We decided to run a few errands and go shopping. Unfortunately, I forgot that it was the tax free weekend in South Carolina, so most of the stores were pretty busy. There were a couple of stores that I just turned around and walked out of because I didn't want to deal with the long lines. Hopefully, I can do some returns/exchanges later in the week.

I have been trying to find some variations on the hamburger to try this summer. After the delicious Greek burgers that we had a couple of weeks ago, I continued to look for some other ethnic variations. I found this Mexican turkey burger and knew I had to try it. It wasn't quite as good as the Greek burger, but it was still pretty good with lots of flavor. Here's the recipe:


MEXICAN TURKEY BURGERS
adapted from Diets in Review orginally in The Biggest Loser: 6 Weeks to a Healthier You
Servings: 6
Points+: 5


1 20-oz. package extra-lean ground turkey breast
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1/4 c. diced red onion
1/4 c. diced red bell pepper
1/3 c. diced fresh mushrooms
1 T. Mexican seasoning or fajita seasoning
1/4 c. low-fat Mexican-blend cheese
1 t. minced garlic
6 T. salsa
6 T. fat-free Greek-style yogurt

In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, cilantro, onion, bell ­pepper, mushrooms, seasoning, cheese, and garlic. There will about 24 ounces (1 ½ pounds) of mixture, or 4 cups. Divide into 6 (4-ounce) patties.

Grill the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, or until the inside is no longer pink. Serve on whole grain buns or Sandwich Thins topped with salsa and yogurt (instead of sour cream).


EXERCISE:
This morning, I was able to get in a 3 mile run. I'm slowing my pace down again and to be honest with you, it's really hard for me to do. I'm having some problems and I'm trying to keep things a little more relaxed with my HR around 140. It's not as easy as it would seem to keep your heart rate below a certain point. That seems to be the most challenging part of the whole run now. I'm hoping that I don't get too bored with the running at the slower pace. Only time will tell!

So long for today...



1 comment:

  1. I might have to try them at the lake this week! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete